Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect Multiple Data Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2007
GR
Hallo everyone,

I have a difficult task... I have worked for a while with cognos and with your help I have learn a lot. I must now import in my Transformer Model a new Data source. Its a Access Database. My Question is, can I connect the new Data Source with the others Tables The new Table has 1-2 columns that is the same with other tables? If I create a new colum the columns from the other tables arent shown in the Column Folder from the column calculation. Is there a possibility to make a calculation with the data from diferrent tables? I hope you have unsterstand what I mean. My english is very poor and simple ;-) Thanks for your help!!!!!

No one? I have read over 200 Posts in this Cognos Forum but I don´t find a way to connect the 2 tables so I can then make a calculation in Cognos. I have tried to import the new Access Database in Impromptu but there is no way I can add the new Access Table there. I don´t have created the Catalog nor I know all the Databases or Tables. Is there a way to make the Joins in Transformer? Please, it´s really important... It were easy if I could make it in Transform. Or must I create for the new Database a imr Report so Impromptu can import the new Data? Sorry, to bother you but it´s either too difficult to make it in Access. The data is too big (over 300.000 rows)!

Sounds like you should use a Union to connect the two queries.

A union work like this:

Query A:
Row1 Data1
Row2 Data2
Row3 Data3

Query B:
Row4 Data4
Row5 Data5

Union:
Row1 Data1
Row2 Data2
Row3 Data3
Row4 Data4
Row5 Data5

The union works like a query of its own. You should be able to make calculations based on the union instead of the individual queries.

Be aware of the column order and column naming when you make the union.

Query unions work the same way as table unions in SQL.

I would be very surprised if one could devise a union query over 2 different datasources.

Ties Blom

Hi Julia,

I have connected Impromptu tables with Access data sources. The best way is to create a column in your access data source for each dimension level. Make sure that these columns have the exact same name and data type. Let me know if this helps.
Dolores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back