Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect 2 bldg's together Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmktech

Vendor
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hello I have a customer that would like to connect two different bldgs together with cat 5 cable. the length is about 1000 feet apart. What could i use to get over the 325 feet max limit on the cat 5? Is/are there amplifiers out here. I keep getting dvi,vga,hdmi extenders and not network extenders/amplifiers.

Or should I go fiber? Whats the best??

Thanks

rk

I would definitly go with fiber if possible. You would have far less problems. With that though, it would require different equipment (something that accepts optical). Also, you would need to get someone to terminate at each end.

If you do go copper, you could use a "Long Reach Ethernet" solution. Cisco I think still makes them. But my opinion is fiber is much better.

At that length you realy need to go fiber. If you go copper you will get really diminished signal at that range normally not to mention with all the interference that might be in your area.

It would almost be a waste of money to lay copper hate how it comes out then more money down the road to finally lay fiber.

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back