Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Congratulations fishiface on being voted TipMaster of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinADC

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
US
Tek-Tips Forums - Home
Community News

* Congratulations fishiface on being voted TipMaster of the Week by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I salute in your general direction [2thumbsup]

Thank you, kind sir.

I think that exposing my ideas for peer review makes me a better programmer: I regularly find that I leave a discussion wiser. I also enjoy the different characters I encounter and the strong sense of community.

It's also a great displacement activity when you're stuck on something at work. Much better than tidying the desk ;-)

Yours,

fish

["]As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in my own programs.["]
--Maur

ditto those sentiments. I also find helping is the stimulation I need to learn something myself. It's great when it's a (excuse the cliche) win-win situation.

Kevins right. Good job. You have hepled me in the past. Maybe someday I will know enough to return the favor.

Congrats fishiface...

As fas as this forum goes after reading a similar post that Kevin also started about Tooting his horn, you deserved it also Kevin. Congrats as well.

Everday I do the following when I get to work:
- Get Dr. Pepper
- Login to pc
- Check email
- Login to Tek-tips and check on my post as well as any that I might have suggested answers. Been doing it for a while now.

HTH - Stiddy

The question is Stiddy,
How much have you learned from Tek-Tips?
I guess quite a lot.
;-)

Trojan.

I actually learn the most from this forum. I kinda feel more like a student in PERL and a little more knowing in other forums. I will keep posting and learning and help when I get an opportunity. Thanks for you time and help also Trojan...

HTH - Stiddy

Hey, if you knew it all in every forum then no one else would get a chance to be TipMaster of the Week. HAHA.

HTH - Stiddy

Trojan

As far as learning PERL. I'm doing ok. Could always study and learn harder. I just wrote a quick script to launch Tivoli hardware and software inventories on nearly 4000 workstations around the globe. This has previously been done via GUI which takes hours and even days. I was able to incorporate some checks and balances also. I used some of the array things I just learned from the last post you helped me with. Good deal.

HTH - Stiddy

Im not often here, but I know whan I have problem that this is the best forum to get answer and also kind people that I like a lot ;) and ofcours good work fish ;)

Thank you all.

Having watched the MVP list fluctuate recently (I first noticed it only a few weeks ago when it was mentioned in this forum), I think that it can be a little erratic and I suspect that it was only luck that I hit the top spot rather than, say, Trojan or duncdude - both of whom, from looking at their profiles, have worked far harder and for much longer than me.

However: it's a clear fillip for perl and for the great community of regulars and passers-by who make this such a vibrant forum.

As for the beers, if anyone is ever near the Calleva Arms in Silchester, North Hampshire, UK, I'm easy to find.

Appropos of nothing, I had an email read out on BBC Radio 4's flagship Today programme on Saturday morning so I'm doubly chuffed.

Yours,

fish

["]As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in my own programs.["]
--Maur

Im from Bosnia and Herzegovina ;) but I was few times in UK so what I like to say "you never know" ;)

This seemed like an appropriate place to post my commendation of Fish's efforts on my behalf.

Because of his coaching, I have been able to adapt a script I have been working on, to become and perform as another similar and very useful XML editor.

Although I'm very early in the learning process of Perl and scripting in gereral, this help has taken me far ahead of my previous position of dissappointment and failure. Boy, did that feel good!

Thanks, Fish.

Brian Ingoldsby
Union Gospel Mission
Yakima, WA, USA

Well he does sleep, but like most of us he subscribes to the Tek-Tips (at only £150 per month) to make sure he doesn't miss any queries :)

Mike

I am not inscrutable. [orientalbow]

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back