Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confusing network problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCDrew

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
I have a problem with my network that has me baffled. I've tried many things to solve it, but haven't even been able to figure out exactly what the problem is.

Here's my situation: I have a desktop and a laptop connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. It's a wireless router but they are both wired. Both are running WinXp Pro. I have it set up that they both connect to my cable modem through the router, but aren't set to share or talk to each other. The router has the latest firmware.

The problem: The desktop works fine, but the laptop's connection to the internet is shaky. I can download a webpage, or collect my e-mail, but anything that pretty much requires more than one packet to do, stops downloading after the first or first few packets.

What I've tried and the results:
1- Hooked laptop directly to the cable modem. Works perfect.

2- Switched Cat-5 cables with desktop. No change in either desktop or laptop.

3- Switched router positions with desktop. No change in either desktop or laptop.

4- Went through all network settings side by side to make sure the desktop and laptop have the same settings. No change.

5- Borrowed my friend's Gigifast EE400-R router and hooked it up in place of my Linksys router. Both laptop and desktop work perfectly!

6- Tried total reset oF Linksys router. No change.

7- Hooked only laptop into router. No change.

Why would the laptop work good connected directly to cable modem, and Gigafast router, but not work with the Linksys? I don't think my router is bad because the desktop works fine. Can anyone offer any advice?

First, in the router setup, make sure your MTU setting is appropriate for cable. Generally, 1500 but not always.

Second, set the MTU of the client.

The best way to handle both issues is to run a Tweak test to find the optimal MTU setting, and then use DrTCP (freeware) to set your client MTU on both desktop and laptop. By default XP should set an MTU of 1500, but the laptop may have been set to a different value, or an MTU of 1500 is inappropriate.

Go here for a tweak test and the utility:
Third, if you have Version 4 of this router, be certain you have the new firmware update applied.

befw11s4v4-fw-1453.zip, which is version 1.453 dated July 29, 2003. You can find the firmware here: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

I have version 1 of the router. I had previously checked it out using DSLReports tweak test. It reports that everything is good. The MTU on the laptop, desktop, and Router is set to 1500.

Thank you for taking time to help me out!

Are the Version 1 ports 10/100 auto, or 10?

You might try manually setting the adapter speed and duplex, as there could be an autonegotiation failure between the two.

Try setting the adapter to 10-half. Experiment with manual settings and see if you can reach a good fit.

In addition, it might be wise to check the NIC manufacturer's web site for newer drivers. Ipconfig /all on the laptop should identify the chipset of the NIC. I have had better luck using the chipset web site than the OEM maker of the laptop for newer drivers.

You rock! I set the NIC from auto sense to 10mbps full duplex and that fixed my problem. Thanks! :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back