Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autobahn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
GB
I have a user who cannot browse the network and his network login is very very slow also. Any other user can log on to his machine no problem and all the network is accessible. Also, he can log on to the network fine using any other PCs except his own...he can still use mail fine but opening My Network Place takes ages and reaching the local file server is impossible.

So the problem is with his login details on his machine only. I'm sure all the network setup is fine...could there be a conflict with his profile? What can I do to test this? Any other suggestions very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance...

The user's rpofile is corrupted. Delete the users profile and let him log in. THat will create a new profile for him. Be sure to backup any data and settings in the C:\Documents and Settings folder. "Only those who risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one
can go."

I tryed that and if there is corruption it goes beyond the profile in 'documents and setting' as that made no difference. As soon as I put in the username and password and hit enter, the system slows and login takes forever!?

On his own machine, he may be using a large and filled local TIF cache. Try to delete Temporary Internet Files.

does he have a roaming profile?

His roaming profile might be huge...

But anyway. check the profile size and like gabe036 said try deleting his local profile from the machine and having this user log back in

John

If the only error is a huge roaming profile, the delay should occur on more than one computer.

Thanks for the advice...this user doesn't have a roaming profile and can log on to other machines with no problems.
I will look into the Temp internet files but I'd assume that this would affect any user on his machine? Anyway, I deleted his whole profile and no change?

Actually a roaming profile can take longer on some machines than others. So yes a roaming profile can be the cause of it, if they were roaming profiles.

I exprience it everyday.

The reason, One of the users use a P4 512megs of RAM and a SCSI 10k drives. he needed an computer upgrade so we swapped out a the machine with an older machine that took almost twice as long to boot due to his large profile.

John

Are the network settings of his machine exactly the same as all the rest of the machines? Also does he have a lot of mapped network drives? If all else fails and you can re-image the machine relatively easy I would try that. John
ski_69@hotmail.com

Hi,

You may wish to try disconnect the machine from the
network, i.e. Do a right click on My computer, click on Properties. Disjoin the machine from the network. Do a restart and login locally.

Once you can login properly, add the machine to the network. You need to have the domain administrator password in order to add the machine into the network.

Once you see the "Welcome to ABC domain", congratulations!

If this fails again, you may wish to uninstall your network drivers, reinstall your NIC card drivers. Reassign the IP address (if it's static). If it's from DHCP Server, remember to remove the assigned DHCP IP address from the DHCP Server prior to the previous steps.

This problem should be due to the machine, network settings, else it could be due to the network cable, port.

Hope these helps.

Cheers,
libroos :-D

If your user is logging into a domain, try making him an equal to admin or domain admin to see what happens. Also, check to make sure his user is not set to log in "as a service" or "act as part of the operating system". This will slow him down big time.

Good luck...

Thanks all, good advice. Will have to get the machine from the user who is some 200 miles away but will let you know how it goes!

Does it log into the domain locally or remotely. Do you have a local DC at the remote office? I had to set up a local DC in order for the logins to be quicker and so it doesn't take up bandwidth.

At the users local office does he/she have a problem login into any other machines?

I still think it's the profile size...

Login is to a remote DC but this guy can login on to other machines fine!?

Do you enforce password restrictions, ie: changing passwords every 30,45 or 60 days? If so, is his password about to expire, does he see a password will expire in x days message? If so, have him change the domain password or reset his domain password. I have seen a similar issue here and it took us 3 days to figure out. After he chanegd his password the user was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back