Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused newbie: sym links

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
There is this folder on the NFS (samba), which is actually a link to the actualk folder elsewhere. For ex: the actual folder is /misc/something and it is usually accessed by a link /home/something. What I dnt understand is that there seems to same subfolders under the subfolder onto the nth level. What I mean is under /home/something there is something again points to /misc/something and this goes on ike /home/something/something/something/something where each of those subfolders point to the same /misc/somthing. I dont understand this arrangement.
Also, the same arrangement shows under /misc/something. That is, there is /something/something/something to n levels under that also poning to /misc/something.
Can somebody explain this to me pleaseeeeeeee.

Sounds more like somebody screwed up than anything that needs explaining.
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

it appears that you have a symlink in your actual folder (/misc/something) that is pointing to itself.

if you do a ls -l in /misc/something, it should produce an output similar to the following:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jan 3 08:08 something -> /misc/something/

if you remove the file /misc/something/something, your nth folder should go away. AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

Did this post help? Click below to let me know.

Thanks a bunch.
I fixed it by rm'ing the links, but I am still not sure how it happened in the first place.
Any explanations will be gratefully accepted.
The network is a Samba based, YP bound with Redhat7.1, NT and 2000's.

Well, symlinks don't happen- something or someone creates them.

That's why I said it was probably just somebody screwing up.

Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

sorry for the intrusion Sonun,
I was experincing the very same problems and hence took a dig.
Tony, "something or someone symlinks". something like automount ??
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back