Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused: DSL with PIX 501

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceNL

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
NL
Hi,

Though i'm not a complete newbie. I'm confused by reading probably too much documentation :)

I have an internal network on a hub.
clients using (static) ip range 10.0.0.150-10.0.0.180

i have 1 static ip on the outside: 62.251.75.11

my DSL modem uses ip 10.0.0.138. my w2k server has ip 10.0.0.150 and must use this to connect the dsl modem to the internet. i use vpn-pptp to connect.

I'm going to connect my pix 501 to the dsl modem and use one internal port to connect to the hub.

i have des installed, can use the pdm and the terminal.
I configured my pix to use ip 10.0.0.165 and outside 62.251.75.11

how do i configure my pix to keep a persistent connection?
I have one webserver that needs access on at least ports 80 and 21

do i need to set the pix's outside ip to 10.0.0.150 since that's what the dsl modem expects or doesn't it work that way?

do i use vpn dailout with pptp or vpnclient dialin pptp? i don't really understand what i should use the make the pix connect the modem to the internet.

I don't really need a whole config, a description should do

thanks,
Vince

Sorry, no answer, just curious if you have found out how
to configure the pix for pptp? I have posted a similar question.

Let me see if I understand your config..

internet---DSL---LAN this is current?

and the ip schema is
internet----DSL- 10.0.0.138 ---LAN --10.0.0.150-180?

Here is the issue.. normally speaking, DSL modems are dumb devices.. ie.. no IP is used, just the MAC. There is a router in front of the Modem and a workstation behind it but the modem is transparent.

Sometimes howerver, a vendor will install a router and call it a *modem* but this is normally used on a commercial account.

Here is what I would expect to see..

internet---DSLmodem--outsideIP 62.251.75.11---PIX--insideIP 10.0.0.x

But things could very be different as each vendor plays their own games. Which DSL modem are you using? model number? You should have a a pair of wires going to the modem and an RJ45 leading out?

Also, is this a US site or overseas as sometimes things are different across the pond.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back