Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused drive thinks it has a volume in it (but it doesn't!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

collective7

Technical User
Mar 12, 2003
US
And it keeps going off line. (Max errors)

Any ideas how to handle?

Sol8
NetWrker554

If it's a an autochanger, edit the Autochanger resource in the admin tool, select the Volumes tab, and change the lines in the Loaded Volumes, Loaded Barcodes, and Loaded Slots fields.

Be very careful. Delete only the contents of the lines, not the lines themselves. For example, if you have three drives, all empty, you should have three blank lines in those fields.

You *can* mess up your autochanger if you aren't careful.

Example:
Drive one contains full.001
Drive two contains full.002
Drive three contains full.003

*but* drive two is actually empty.

Your Loaded Volumes section would read (using ^ and $ to mark the beginning and end of lines):
[tt]^full.001$
^full.002$
^full.003$[/tt]

You would want to change it to:
[tt]^full.001$
^$
^full.003$[/tt]

I had a very similar problem just a few hours ago on a Qualstar Jukebox -w- LTO Ultrium drives.

In my case, I did a 'nsrjb -H' and it fixed things up. From the 'man nsrjb' text:

-H Resets the jukebox hardware (and the NetWorker database
representing the jukebox) to a consistent state. The
jukebox clears the transport and then unmounts and
unloads volumes from the drives to slots. An actual
inventory is not performed; (see the -I option). If
the jukebox senses that the inventory is out-of-date,
it prints an appropriate message.

my first attempt will be similar to goony, run a 'nsrjb -HEv' to reset the jukebox.
In case that the first attempt failed with the command just hanging with keep unloading error at gui, then time to restart and networker services and reset the jukebox again.

Hi

We also experienced this problem with our 9840 drives.

The solution we found was to edit the nsr.res file and change the section that says "max consecutive errors = 20" to a max of 200.

This fixed our problem.

Manually put the tape it thinks is in the drive and let Networker unload it.

Simple, stupid, but it shoudl work. THen do a nsrjb -H

john7 ubsolutely right,
simply put this tape to the drive and then unload it by GUI.

1.My tape drive was disabled at the time when a got a message like
"About to read label on rd=host:/dev/rmt/10hbn
nsrjb:About to eject volume from rd=host:/dev/rmt/10hbn
slot number 56, device `rd=host:/dev/rmt/10hbn' is not enabled" right in a middle of inventory running - BUT IT IS NO any tape in it!!!
2.Then I`ve put tape manually into the drive.
3.Enable drive temporarely(it was disabled automaticaly before because of errors and that ).First tiem I haven`t enabled drive and got error again:0)
4.Unload with GUI.
5.Disable drive again to future check.
6. Run nsrjb -HEvvv and then nsrjb -Iv.

Good luck.

Putting the tape back in the drive, and doing it that way works as well, assuming one thing: you have physical access to the drive (or trust someone who does) =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back