Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused about the CD Packs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiavoices

Programmer
Sep 20, 2001
CA
Hello all and a Happy New Year.

I have decided to learn Oracle and was looking into purchasing the software and came across the CD Packs.

I found their website difficult to navigate so here it goes....

My questions are:

1. Do the CD-Packs contain all the applications they have listed or are they just trial versions? Why do they cost so reasonably? 35.00 or so? What is (are) the catch(s)?

2. What are the differences between Oracle9i Database, Oracle9i Application Server, Internet Application Servers? I'm confused :-Q. I'm looking to do more web development in Java if that helps.

3. What is the difference between Internet Developer Suite and Oracle JDeveloper? I believe that Oracle JDeveloper is part of the Internet Developer Suite correct?

4. Can I just get the JDeveloper alone? If so, how? and approx. how much is it?

Thank you,

Christopher

I can only help you with your first question. When you buy the CD packs, they do have all of the software listed, but you only have a 30-day trial license.

They you have to call them then to pay and they will unlock it I guess, correct?

Oracle software is normally protected by license agreement only: no keys, no trial versions. It's up to you to keep to the terms of license.

I assume you are learning Oracle on your own, however, I think if you are learning Oracle through a higher ed institution, there's a license available that doesn't require you to uninstall or purchase the software after 30 days. You just can't use it for a production environment (it's for educational use). If you are learning through a higher ed institution, check with your instructor. When I went through Oracle classes, there was a code we used on the Oracle Store website when we purchased the software (and no, I have no idea what that code is anymore). This probably has changed since then, but it's worth a shot.

Oracle has always been very liberal in distributing it's software. All the downloads and CD distributions contain full versions. The only difference is a splash screen. The license states 30 days but there are no bombs and I've used old versions for years. This makes good since from Oracle's perspective as Oracle requires knowledgeable people to run it and they don't want to put barriers in the way of people who want to learn how to use it. I'm a DBA and use the RDBMS and not the various Oracle Applications or developer suites so I can't answer your questions in those areas.
There are some differences in working with different RDMBS but for getting started I think using Oracle is great and the demand for Oracle professionals continues to be strong.

1. This is because they are the full versions of the software but the license agreement is for developer purposes only, you cannot deploy anything you write.

2. Oracle 9i database is the latest database. Oracle 9i Application Server is their web server, it includes Apache server with extension for PL/SQL, Forms and Reports Servers, Oracle iCache etc... Internet Application Server was the old name for the above I believe or one of its components.

3. Internet Developer Suite is the suite of tools including Designer, Developer, JDeveloper to name a few.

4. Yes I believe you can as a download from technet.oracle.com or bundled as part of the above suite. You could probably buy it seperatly but it would cost a fortune + maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back