Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused about CompTIA... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattleite

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2009
US
Back in 2004 I took the Network+ certification. Now when I look at the CompTIA website it shows several different Network+ certifications. Mine was "generic", so is it still good?

Also, when I took the exam, no-where did it say anything about recertification... Do CompTIA certifications now require it? If so where does my current certification stand?

Finally, I'm considering taking the Security+ certification. When I look up prices I see "Security+" and "Security+ Bridge" - what's the difference?

Thanks.

Seattleite,

Where are you seeing different Network+ exams? I only see one Network + exam discussed at the CompTIA site!!!!

From -
CompTIA Network+ was first launched in 1999, and exam updates followed in 2002, 2005 and 2009. It has been updated!!!

Once you are Network+ - you are always Network+, some companies might ask how long ago you got your Network+, but I doubt it since it is basicly an entry level cert and they would be looking more for Cisco or Juniper certs and experience if it was for anything more than an entry level job!

As far as Security+ Bridge, Google is a wonderfull thing -

CompTIA Security+™ Bridge Exam Information

For IT professionals who are encouraged or required by their employers to remain current on their certifications, CompTIA has the following options for CompTIA Security+ certified professionals who have previously attained their CompTIA Security+ certification. Those individuals may choose to become certified under the CompTIA Security+ 2008 exam objectives in one of two ways:

Take the new exam, CompTIA Security+ 2008 Edition (SY0-201)
Take the CompTIA Security+ bridge exam (BR0-001), which measures only the differences between the 2002 exam objectives and the 2008 exam objectives..........

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks CiscoGuy. I'm feeling a little better about everything now. As for Network+ now being multiple exams, I think I had a brain fart :(

So my Network+ is safe, good to know! I will have a look into the meaning of "bridge" - my excuses for being lazy. Thanks again for your help.

As always CiscoGuy, good info. A star is on it's way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back