Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused about browser master

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom11011

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
First of all, my whole network is win2k.

We have 5 Win2k servers. I get 2 error messages in the event logs of 4 of the servers that say the following:

Event 8032: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ECDD3977-0C9E-46AD-8FEF-511E50DC69F2}. The backup browser is stopping.

and

Event 8021: The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\FS1 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ECDD3977-0C9E-46AD-8FEF-511E50DC69F2}. The data is the error code.

The server not getting this message is the server in the event log called FS1.

I checked the registry settings of all 5 servers with regards to browser elections and they all say the following:

IsDomainMaster = False
MaintainServerList = Yes

My feeling is that FS1 should say True? But doesn't all this have to do with NT? We have no NT servers or workstations anymore.

Any insite appreciated.

tom11011,

Did you find an answer to your post?

I've run into a similar problem myself...

I recently upgraded my domain to AD and the event logs 8021 and 8032 began to appear on 4 servers, not the other 7????

I've checked and rechecked DNS and WINS settings. These are not multihomed servers either.

Any ideas anyone?

i have the same problem on 2 servers running ad 1 member server. Along with the duplicate name found on network, my only conclusion to what is happening is that i have dual nics on both servers running ad on the same subnet. It doesn't seem to effect anything, but it is annoying

Hi,
This is not a NT-problem. This is a Windows 3.11 and old LanMan problem.
But it is still the fundation for network browsing in W2k.

Most common is the multihost problem.
Make sure the master browser is a computer with only one networkcard and NO modem or other network device.

Use the command 'browstat sta' to trubbleshot.

The master browser is elected and not set.
The best and highest server will be master browser even if you edit the register.
If you want to change master browser. Move the old PDC-role to the server. (By using command 'ntdsutil')

Good luck.
// Wibbe

So what do you do if 'browstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command at the cmd prompt?

Hi,
I've the same problem describe before.
Following your usefull instruction... I didn't fix yet.

Someone has fixed it ??

Many thanks

How I corrected this problem was to configure the nic on the WINS Tab, to either "Enable TCP/IP over Netbios" or "Disable TCP/IP over Netbois".

In two cases, I had servers with two nics. I did the "Enable/Disable" switch on the second nic and the errors stopped.

Try that.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

I have the same problem.

After checking the network connection on the server which has the problem, I found out that the network team on the server was lost. This caused one network card automatically get the private DHCP address (IP address automatically assign when no DHCP server avail).

After setting up the NIC team properly with proper network connections, problems went away.

Hope this help.

JN

I have been having similar issues however when I do a browstat status on one of my 2 2k boxes. I get the following error text:
Status for domain mydomain on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9A4E28F9-369D-407
9-8948-4FB5E3F4C400}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: ???¢¼??
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build of browser master: 53
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
1 backup servers retrieved from master ???¢¼??
\\myserver
Unable to retrieve server list from ???¢¼??: 2351

I have teamed network cards and the 8021 and 8032 get logged event log about every 2 hours. When I run a status on the master browser server it doesn't list the above mentioned server as a backup server as it once did.

Thanks,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back