Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conflict between access 2000 and 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaintedFlames

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
CA
Hi everyone,
I just finished writing this macro. While testing it on a couple of people, I found that the macro acts odd with people that have Access 2000. I made it in 2002, and people running access 2002 don't have any problems.

The problem starts when they load the main form, they get an error saying "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist.". And the form doesn't load right and nothing works right really. But if you enter "Design view" and go back to "Form view", everything is alright again.

I have no idea why this happends, and I'm having a hell of time debugging it, since I don't have access 2000.

So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or even better someone found a way to fix it :).

Thank you

Jay

Jay

Can I suggest converting it VBA? This may give you a better way of debugging it.

At least then we look at the code.

Howard

I've encountered the same when developing in 2002 (xp), and trying to open in 2000. The code just won't run the first time it's opened, functions are not available... Some tweaks, like changing to design view and back, going to VBE make an alteration save/compile, close the db and reopen seems to do he trick...

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but suspect there's something with the references, not being coerced back to 9.0 the first time, but I'm not sure.

One simple workaround that works on my setup, is to place a label on the opening form, with some text along the lines of: "An error occured while opening the database, please try to close and reopen it". Then in the on load event of the form, have some code that alters the label caption to something a bit more friendly, or nothing.

If the database opens without the code working, the user will then hopefully close and reopen the database, which should bring it to working order, else it should work normally.

Roy-Vidar

Hey guys,
Howard: It is VBA, most of the macro is all in VBA. The reason I can't debug it, is because I can't get the same error.

Roy: This isn't fun :-(... Luckily this is only for internal use, and all the people that use it, I know and when it doesn't load properly they know what to do. But it doesn't change that's it's annoying... I'm gonna start missing around with today. Maybe I can get an automated way of "fixing" it. Ah, the joy of working with Microsoft products...:p

Jay

OK this is what I found:
Somethings I made in 2002 never work in 2000... But I toke-over someones computer and did the exact same changes, but they work fine for 2000 and 2002 now... I'm so annoyed by this now... I have no idea what to do so that my database will work on 2000.

Any idea?

Jay

I just had the same issue and I noticed that some of the users were still on sp1 or sp2 for office 2k and there is a sp3 you may want to try this I believe that sp3 may be your fix it worked for me.

Thanks eileen, I need to wait to see if this works, since I don't have admin rights :-(.

Jay

I have an Access adp file developed on Access 2000, now one of my clients upgraded herself to Office 2003 and she downloaded the db's UI and is getting all kinds of error messages while her other old PC still running Access 2000 doesn't have any problem.

I'm very sure that the problem is with the incompatibility. Since we eventually will migrate to Access 2003, can anyone tell me how to solve my client's current problem issue and also give me some advise on how to go about doing the migration smoothly?

Thanks much.

elinsd did you ever resolve this? I'm getting the same problem. I've searched every function and piece of code and am positive that no two of anything are named the same. All users will eventually get 2003; some have it now, and I'm suspecting that it's some incompatibility issue. But I'm at a loss as to how to find and correct it.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

I couldn't figure out what was wrong or how to fix the problem with incompatibility after spending too much time on it, e.g. between finding similar posts online, checking the s/w updates, reference library and VBA codes, etc. I finally gave up and just worked around the issues I encountered form by form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back