Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Ximian client to get MS Exchange mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasitalian

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
US
Newbie here,
I have Lindows 4.5 OS, and trying to configure Ximian Evolution to get mail from MS Exchange server 5.5
Can anyone tell me if this is possible? If so, how is it done?
Any direction is appreciated!

Malcolm Fowler

Yes, you can do it. But you can only get the email. In order to get the full features of MS Exchange you will need the "exchange connector" from Ximian.

You can get your emails from Exchange using either POP or IMAP. The big difference is with POP your mails are sent to your computer (Local Folders on Evolution) and you have the choice to let the mails in the server (or not). With IMAP you access the mailbox directly, so no mail is sent to the "Local Folders" and it will be always empty (a new tree is created as "VFolders" but is called "your@email.com" or the name you assign it).

To configure it do:

1. From Menu: Tools -> Settings
2. On mail account folder select "Add"
3. Fill data & hit next
4. In "Receiving Mail" dialog choose the server type (IMAP or POP 3, it's your choice.
5. Go ahead with the dialogs.

It's quite easy.

Cheers & good luck!

Thanks for the help, but this newbie is confused.
Are you saying that if I want the Full features of Exchange for my client email, I need to install the Exchange connector? ok
Now, on Ximian, what is the configuration syntax when Evolutions asks for smtp server? is it smtp.servername.com or is it smtp.domainname.com or or is it emailserver.domainname.com?
and the same with the IMAP questions?
Thanks for any help you can give!

Malcol Fowler

You can use the exchange server to get your emails and send you emails.

for example: if you can "ping server_mail" your IMAP/POP and SMTP server will be "server_mail", do you get it?

if your server mail respond to mail.company.com, use that one...

sorry, Yes. I mean full feature of exchange to calendar, contacts, notes, etc. anything out of emails. In order to access to these features you need the ximian connector.

Thanks Chacalinc! I saw that Ximian Connector but they are showing that it is only compat with Xchange 2000 > right?
I have Exchange 5.5 and not sure if this will be up to speed for the connector from Ximian.
Any ideas?
Malcolm

if ximian says so, then Ximian Connector works only with Exch2K.. sorry.

Anyway, why do you want the connector? Evolution has contacts folders, calendars and basicly the same thing as Exchange, the only difference is with Ximian toyr contacts, task, calendar, etc are saved in your PC, and with Exchange in the server... using "pst" in Windows is the same way as evolution.

I downloaded evolution and tried to configure it to get mail from exchange 5.5 mail server on my domain, but it won't sync.
Malcolm

hmmmm.. I have evolution on my PC using Exchange 5.5...

under tools->setting edit your email account and post me:

On receiving mail:
Server Type
host
username
authentication type

On sending mail:
Server Type
Host

I have Outlook 97 from Office 97 setup(I think that is also a problem, huh?)
Malcolm

may be... it can be a sort of locking the mailbox if outlook is running, but i'm not sure..
try closing outlook.

Anyway check the info I post you.

On receiving mail:
Server Type IMAP
host mailserver.domain.com
username user name
authentication type password

On sending mail:
Server Type SMTP
Host mailserver.domain.com

let me know what you think.
Thanks
Malcolm

my friend, you should have YOUR data in the file:

Server Type: IMAP (OK, it's up to you)
Host: YOUR.host.com (or simply yourhost, issue "ping yourhost")
username: YOU

On sending mail:
Server Type SMTP
Host: same as above...

I ping'd the mail server and got the "your.host.com" format, so I plugged that in the host slot in both the IMAP and the SMTP zones.
When I try the Send/Receive, I get an error saying:
"Error while 'Scanning folders in 'IMAP server servername(name of my server)'; Host lookup failed:(my server's name): unknown reason"

I am stumped.
Malcolm

Chacalinc: what OS are you using? I still can't get Evolution to work for me. I have Lindows 4.5 and Exchange 5.5 on my email server.

btw, thanks for all your help so far!

Malcolm

My email server is Exchange 5.5 and my OS is Debian.

What is the server name in your outlook config? is the same one as evolution? did you enter your mail account in evolution?

May be you have a problem with routing (in your PC may be)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back