Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveycarr

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Hi,

Mitel 3300 CX MCD 4.2

System IP 192.168.1.1
Gateway 192.168.1.254

Nice and easy so far. All works great on my flat network, however my Customer has their own network of Cisco POE Layer 3 switches and he wants to put all his IP phones in VLAN2. The Mitel is the DHCP Server so I know need it to tell the phones VLAN 2.

There will be no PC's plugged into Phones, its almost standalone.

What config changes do I need to undertake on the 3300 so the Phones can use VLAN2. Do I just change scope options or do I need to put the actual 3300 in Vlan 2 as well.

I'm ok with the Mitel 3300 in general I've just never needed to use Vlans before and to be honest I don't truly understand them

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

!ExtraDunce

if you are using ports only as voice ports with no data then the 3300 only needs to have ne new subnet & scope etc. There is no need to make it aware of the VLAN ID unless you want the phones to 'tag' the packets to make use of QOS etc.

Thanks BobCheese,

When you say "3300 only needs to have ne new subnet & scope" can I amend the existing scope, by just changing the string in option 125 to include vlan2 rather than what already exists which I think is vlan1.

I'm at home at the minute and cant remember the exact text string.

Steve

!ExtraDunce

The benefit of VLAN is you can seperate voice devices (phones ) from the data devices. You give the voice VLAN a higher priority to ensure the real time packets don't experience delay on the customers network. If you are to seperate the voice devices onto VLAN 2 you would have to have the 3300 there as well to ensure it is also seperated from the data devices. The 3300 can either be attached to a layer 2 port that is statically assigned to the VLAN 2 or it can be set to tag its packets with VLAN 2 the same as the phones can.
What I would do is have the customer setup a voice LAN in the layer 2 switches. I would assign it VLAN 2. Then have the customer setup CDP on the layer 2 switches. What will then happen is on boot the Mitel phones advertise to the Cisco that they are voice devices. The Cisco responds and tells the phones that they belong on VLAN 2. The phones then reboot tagging all their packets with VLAN 2. The 3300 would be on VLAN 2 using one of the two above methods and would see and respond to the sets.
This method keeps everything seperate. The 3300's DHCP server would need to hand out IP addresses for the scope created for VLAN 2.

If you wanted with the above you could plug PC's into the back of the phones because the attached PC's would end up on the default VLAN setup in the Cisco layer 2.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Don't forget you'll need a router of some sort to route between the 2 vlan subnets to allow the pcs to communicate with the voice network for UC and web admin etc.

IN this example Data = VLAN1 and VOICE = VLAN2

Connect the Mitel to for example port 24 on the switch:
On port 24 config: 'VLAN1 = NO' and 'VLAN2 = untagged'
Phones to any other port that have: 'VLAN1 = untagged' and 'VLAN2 tagged'
(if no pc's connected to the phones they can also be 'VLAN2 untagged'

If any routing between VLAN's are used make sure your switch/router supports layer3 switching

Phones will boot in default VLAN (1) and options 128,129,130 in your DATA DHCP server which will tell the phones to reboot in VLAN2.

Instead of messing around in the DHCP server of the customer, rather use LLDP (vendor neutral) or CDP (cisco) in your switches.
LLDP is used by network devices for advertising their identity, capabilities, and neighbors on a LAN. So the phones will boot and 'detect' VOICE on VLAN2 and then automatically reboot in the right VLAN

follow me on twitter:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies but want I really want to know is what changes I need to make on the 3300. I know what VLans are for I just need to know what configuration I need to do on the 3300.

I'm not doing the Network/Routers/Switches only the 3300 and its a CX with only a single Lan Port.

What Forms do I need to congigure?

Cheers

!ExtraDunce

Hi,

Have a look at this document, you will have to get the guys that are managing the switches invloved to program the ports for the voice network (VLAN 2).

You will also need a DHCP on the data network to identify the Mitel phones and direct them to the correct VLAN, or you could set each phone to VLAN 2 statically via the network config menu.

The way I see it is that as the phones will be on seperate switch ports to data there is no need for dhcp on data network. Just on the voice network.

You will need to change the ip of the controller, delete the dhcp subnet and address range and add a new one in the correct vlan subnet range. No need to enter the vlan info in option 125 as the switch ports will put untagged traffic in he correct vlan providing that ghetto are configured as untagged on voice vlan

What changes you need to make on the 3300 depend on how you are going to deploy. Bobcheese pretty much covers the changes you need to make but again what you acutally need depends on the setup.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Sorry,

Re-reading the post I agree with bobcheese as well.
Just set-up the Mitel as you would on a flat network with no VLANs. The switch ports will do the rest i.e. Keep the networks logically separate.

Although the OP does state that it's "almost standalone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back