Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring the X-Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun1350

Technical User
Apr 7, 2000
MY
Visit site
I have a NVDIA VANTA display card and a Philips 105S monitor. <br><br>How should I configure my Linux X-server for it to support my display card and the monitor that I'm using?

How can Xconfigurator be used to setup my X server? I have downloaded the driver for NVIDIA VANTA from the internet. The driver is saved in my drive partition E (WIN95 FAT 32). Can I mount to the E patition when I boot up in LINUX. How could I do that?<br><br>The manufacturer of my NVIDIA VANTA card is Butterfly. This card has 32MB ram and it uses TNT-2 core technology.

to mount the WIN95 partition simply type this command as root<br><br>mkdir /WIN95<br>mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /WIN95<br><br>/dev/hda1 is the device name it may be different on your system

Red Hat 6.2 has a driver for NVIDIA TNT2 but not for NVIDIA VANTA. How could I install the driver to my linux?<br>

Sorry this isn't a reply, it's more a cry for help! lol<br>Anyways, i've installed Redhat 6.0 and i'm trying to setup Gnome or KDE so the resolution isn't 320x240. I've tried changing the resolution etc in Xconfigurator but it still goes into a really low res, hence i can't use it cause the icons take up half the page.<br>I have a Viper v770 card, which has TNT2 core.<br>&nbsp;

I had this problem if a Number Nine Video Card (S3 Savage4 Chipset) and after download the correct driver I must just compile and put it a name of a known xfree86 driver (I put X XF86_SVGA), copy it to X server directory (usually /usr/X11R6/bin) and make a link from X to new_driver_file.<br>You can run the X server to (re)configure your system, however you must choose the card that you put the name, you can find the table in <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> had done it and my system works pretty good.<br><br>Tech Specs: Linux Conectiva 4.2 (RedHat 6.2), X server 3.3.6.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Monitor Res. 1024x768 with 32bits Color<br><br><A HREF="mailto:renatokiss@yahoo.com">renatokiss@yahoo.com</A>

I'm not familiar with the Nvidia card, but one thing you might try is the Framebuffer. (Overly simplistic explanation coming) Framebuffer is a method of abstracting device performance from the Linux operating system, so Linux doesn't need to know the complexities of the hardware, it just interacts with the framebuffer. I wish I could explain more, but I don't have time to research it all right now.<br><br>Framebuffer is included in Mandrake 7, Slackware 7, and I believe RedHat 6.2, not sure about the others. I think it's a part of Linux kernel 2.2<br><br>I recently installed Slackware 7 on my laptop with a Silicon Motion graphics card. The setup routine could not detect the card, but suggested I choose the framebuffer, which I did. It then prompted me for my screen resolution and depth, which I entered as 800X600, 16 bit. Immediately I had an 800X600 X-window AND an 800X600 console (I know: cool, huh?!)<br><br>I did the same with Mandrake 7, although it wasn't quite as easy. For my money, Slackware 7 is the easiest Linux install ever, even though it's not graphical. The only drawback to some might be that Slackware is more of a hacker's distribution, and doesn't have some of the useability features that Mandrake has. They're both excellent distros, though.

Lotsa luck!&nbsp;&nbsp;As best I can tell, it looks like VANTA isn't supported by XFree86.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Even though other cards may use the same chipset, vendors often have their own variations in the card interfacee.&nbsp;&nbsp;Someone has observed &quot;UNIT != UNIX&quot; -- Well, TNT2 != TNT2, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;You MIGHT get lucky, but ...<br><br>I see an NV1 as supported by XFree86, and there is discussion currently on XFree86 about development for NV10, but I don't see anything for VANTA.<br><br>Maybe another card?&nbsp;&nbsp;I had similar problems with an SiS card a year ago, but it is now supported (Thank you, SuSE).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back