Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Summit48 Switch with VLANs to access internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bammes

Technical User
May 13, 2002
DE

Hello!

At the moment I'm operation a small network of 4 PCs , 2 Media Stations and one Server.

I'm using a Fritzbox 7050 to connect to the internet using VDSL (50 MBit down / 10 MBit up). The PCs where connected through an unmanaged to the Fritzbox router. The media stations where directly attached to the router.
This was working quite well - except when using the media stations for IPTV. Then the whole netzwerk was blocked. I guess this was caused by broadcast traffiv.

To solve this I bought a Summit 48 switch. I wanted to set up VLANs to separate the media stations from the rest of the PC-network and the server.
Could anyone please help me setting up the switch? So far I didn't manage to connect from a PC to the Internet:

VLAN Default: PCs and Server
VLAN Internet: Fritzox Router
VLAN Media: Media Stations

It's only Basic Layer 3 supported by the switch.

Thanks
Thomas

Here are the commands,

create vlan Internet
config Internet tag 20
config Internet protocol mnet
config Internet ipaddress 192.168.0.1/24
config Internet add ports 7-26 (Configure the ports you like)
config Internet add port 3 tagged (This is if you use two switches for redundancy)

Neto.............

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

The PCs and the media stations will stay in their own VLAN:
create vlan media
config media ipaddress 192.168.1.1/24
config default ipaddress 192.168.2.1/24

Both aren't able to use the internet connection through the router at the moment.

I enabled ipforwording and tried assigning the enthernet router port as default gateway to the PCs and in a second try the switch ip for the vlan (192.168.2.1).

An ideas?

Thanks
Thomas

Now I am bit confused, i think you have the PC's and the other devices connected to the 48Si right. 48Si is then connected to the router. In my previous post "config Internet protocol mnet" i did have this command line, hope you have replaced "mnet" with "ip" when you were loading it.
If this is true, then I feel your PC directly connected to the 48Si should have the extreme as the default and the extreme should have router as the default. I think this should work well..... make sure to enable ipforwarding on all VLAN's its important.

Let me know if this helped u....?

Neto......

The PC's and Server's should have their default gateway pointing at the Fritzbox router.
The Summit switch is just an L2 bridge.

--------------------------------------------
#2 Now let's take care of the Media Stations
--------------------------------------------

We are going to create a new VLAN just for the Media Stations and add them to ports 7 and 8

config vlan default delete ports 7-8
create vlan mediaservers
config vlan mediaservers 7-8

-------------------------
#3 Test the configuration
-------------------------

Validate that the PC's, Servers and Fritzbox can communicate.
Validate that the PC's can get out onto the network through the fritzbox router usng ping.
Validate that the Media Stations can talk without killing the PC communications.

In this configuration any broadcast traffic going between the Media Stations will be isolated.

This should solve your issue without having to deal with L3 switching.

You can check your Layer 2 VLANs and port assignments from the CLI as follows:

show vlan default
show vlan mediaservers

bammes,

Sorry - I posted these out of sequence a little bit.

I am going to assume that you are just using the Extreme Switch for VLAN segmentation. I am
also going to assume that you are are actually routing the PC's and Server through your Fritzbox
router still and not relying on the L3 switching engine in the Extreme.

This is very straight forward.

Blow the switch configuration away...
unconfigure switch all

Default console login is admin <no password>

------------------------------------------
#1 Let's take care of the PC's and Servers
------------------------------------------

All ports on the switch are in the default VLAN when the switch re-initializes.

Put the Fritzbox Router, PC's and Server on ports 1-6

Hello!
I tried all the solutions you offered but none was working as desired.

With the last configuration (thanks ExtremeTek) everythig was working but mutlicast traffic for IPTV (Media Stations) seems to make problems. The picture stops then an now (every couple of seconds) and doesn't move on. I enablead ipmcforwarding, added the ports for the two mediastations to qp4 added the ip address of the mediastations to fdb with qp4 assigned but nothing is really working. The only thing that seemed to ease the problem a little bit was modifiying the igmp setting, setting everything to 1 sec. The picutre now is interupted only for a very short period of time an the movie plays on insted of freezing. But alltogether it is not very satisfying.

At the moment I have two summit48 setup like that:

summit1 (192.168.1.240):
port 1: server, vlan 0
port 48: internet router (IP 192.168.1.253), vlan 0
port 50 (tagged): summit2, vlan 0

summit2 (192.168.1.241):

port 1-10: clients, vlan 0
port 47,48: media stations, vlan 0
port 50 (tagged): summit1

both summits have their default gateway set to 192.168.1.253
ipmcforwaring, ipforwaring are enabled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Thomas

From the looks of it all of your devices are on the same VLAN, vlan 0 or Default.

Do the Media Stations need to be on the same subnet as your internet router, clients and server? or can stese stations reside on their own subnet.

If they have to be on the same subnet....
You could try disabling IGMP snooping globally. Just let the media stations flood traffic to each other. This may stop the freezing that you are seeing. This of course has some negative side effects potentially.

Give it a try.

disable igmp snooping

ipmcforwarding is only useful when you are routing multicast through the Summit48si, so I don't think enabling this is going to help. Your problem is with switching, not routing. For example, your multicast server is on one subnet/VLAN, your clients on another subnet/VLAN. In order for this to be useful you need a full-L3 license and you really need to run a Multicast routing protocol. Again, I don't think this is your issue and it will not help your configuration.

What code are you running?

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Darth Helmut, Space Balls

The media stations could be on their onw subnet but they are configured for DHCP.
I found no way to provide them an IP address for another subnet except maybe through the router. But that would mean router and PCs would be on different subnets what would raise routing questions again. (So does media stations in a different subnet; they connect to the multicast server on the internet).

I'll try disabling igmp snooping.

Bammes,

What code are you running?

Use the "show version" command from the console port

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Darth Helmut, Space Balls

Hello ExtremeTek,

one box is Version 4.1.19 (Build 2)
and the other one is 4.1.20 (Build 3)

Bammes,

Trying to help, but it's hard to tell exactly what is wrong. How do these media stations that you have work? Do you have a make and model number for them?

They connect to the Internet through the Fritzbox to download some video via multicast?
Then you can stream it locally to your IPTVs?

Need to explain exactly how these boxes communicate and with what? Internet, locally only, etc.

I understand that you have some PC's and a Server in your network. Apparently, when these media stations are running they can knock the rest of your network off line. I would agree that this is likely form excessive broadcast or multicast.

Need more information on how you use these boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back