Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Sendmail to send mail to Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITBatman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2007
US
I have been reading and reading and I thank all the poisters for the helpful advice posted on configuring sendmail. But despite all this wonderful advice, I still can't seem to get email addressed to our own local domain to get delivered to our Exchange box. The mail going outbound to external addresses works fine, but anythign addressed to a local address seems to stay on the AIX box in that users mailbox waiting to be read there.

I have tried so many different settings and in reality, so much works properly, I don't want to start over. My hope is that if I list everything that has been modified in my sendmail.cf file, that someone will be able to tell me which, if any, are needed, and which are not.

Mail from AIX to external email address works fine.
Mail in from anywhere works fine.
Mail from AIX to Exchange user does not go through.

sendmail.cf lines I have changed:
(I have used generic names in <> symbols)
------------------------------------------
Dw<name-of-my-ibm-box>
Dm<mydomain.com>
Cwlocalhost Dj<mydomain.com>
DSsmtp:<name-of-exchange-box-in-etchosts>
DRsmtp:<name-of-exchange-box-in-etchosts>
DHsmtp:<name-of-exchange-box-in-etchosts>
#CL root
#CE root
DL<name-of-exchange-box-in-etchosts>
DM<name-of-exchange-box-in-etchosts>
# Comment out this rule if you want all mail to go to the
# Smart-Host relay defined by "DS" macro.
#R$* < @ $* .$=m. > $* $#esmtp $@ $2.$3. $: $1 < @ $2.$3. > $4

I want mail sent from the IBM business application to come from mydomain.com and not from hostname.mydomain.com. This is now working fine which makes the RDNS lookups work.

The only thing is that if I send to user@mydomain.com, it won't got to Exchange server and account. It stays on the IBM.

I made sure localhost and the exchange box are defined in /etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1 and the IP of my Exchange server.

I have tried so many things, I have noi idea of one setting is screwing up another - one that would work.

Yes I had read that, and sort of what I was alluding to in the start of my post. I read some of this and think "This is is exactly!" But when i go to configure everything like it says, I am still left with one non-working but important piece to the puzzle. That is why I wonder if reading all this advice and trying everything I could has left me with one suggestion causing problems for another.

Specific question perhaps may help????
In that post you mentioned it shows this:

#DSmailer:relayhostname
DS<hostname of Lotus Notes Server>

In my file, because of some other examples I have read, I currently have "smtp:" in there before the hostname. Is that right? wrong?

I have:
DSsmtp:<hostname-for-Exchange-server>
and I have tried
DSsmtp:[IP-addr-of-Exchange-server]

Is the smtp: part needed? causing problems?

More info from testing:
I have narrowed down the setting which seems to control my success and failure. Dj seems to be tha magic setting.

If I comment out Dj, all mail is being sent to Exchange and recipients on my domain get an email from root@mydomain.com. However, mail sent to the outside world doesn't seem to go through, especially where rdns is being used.

If I uncomment Dj so it says Djmydomain.com, mail sent by the IBM box goes to the Exzchange server and recipients on the web get the mail from root@mydomain.com. However internal addresses (@mydomain.com) do not get delivered.

So I can make one work or the other but not both. This is oh so frustratiung.

In the end, I need to get mail from this server (such as automatically generated reports) to mostly users on my domain, but also a few outside emails, that seem to do rdns on the address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back