Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring second AD server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g4j4hgil4

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
ID
i have 1 server as dc in central office running, then i need to setup a new server in branch office with the same domain and those user account in central office to be available in branch office too

how do i configure it?
i know how to configure it if only they allow me to make a child domain..but they dont want it

one more thing...
they want those branch users to logon into that second server, so that it dont waste bandwidth

thanks

What you're asking isn't impossible... in fact its not that difficult. Since you are installing it in a remote location, there are some considerations involved concerning the bandwidth between the branch and central location. If it was me, I would have the second domain controller running with active directory integrated DNS, DHCP, WINS, also have it set as a global catalog, and have it set in it's own site in sites and services to manage replication of active directory and other services between sites. The structure of what you are doing falls under the category of Wide Area Network. Your second Domain Controller is not going to be connected to your central location with a nice fast 100mb or better connection.

There is alot of information and the best way for you to access it is windows help (I'm not going to publish all that here). Adding a second domain controller to the domain is extremely simple. Windows help covers this too. But you really, really need to look into sites and services once you have that DC up and running. Unless you control the bandwidth and timing that active directory, DNS, WINS, and other server services are using to replicate information across the WAN, your users are going to complain about the network being slow. You also want to provide quick access to domain resources like name resolution and logging in... this is where having DNS, WINS, and global catalog located at the branch office is a big advantage.

Yes, the help is big and alot of reading, but EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know is in it.

hi, thanks for your info
i have followed what u suggest
i set up dc in branch with integrated dns, but no dhcp since i'll be using static ip and no wins(we're using dns so no need wins anymore,right?),
then set it up as global catalog too, then add a new site(named as branch) then move that new dc to this branch site,

next i try to login from one of the workstations succed but it is so slowwww
and when check with command 'set' it says logon server is still the dc in central site

am i missing a step or something?
i've look in windows help with no luck

You should move the workstations to this branch site too. And of course they should point to branch DNS server.

You dont need WINS if there are no pre-win2000 workstations in your branch.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

sorry my mistake...it was all ok
all i need to do is wait for the replication to accure...then everything works :)
thanks a bunch

You have to be careful before going WINS-less, some things depend on WINS (such as SMS). You can't just go on whether all the workstations are running Win2K etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back