Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring PC screen colours to match printer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roycw1

Technical User
Nov 28, 2006
GB
Hi All

I'm new to this, so please be kind...and keep it simple for me.

Can anyone tell me how to configure my PC so that when I print out touched-up photos from Photoshop, the printed version resembles my screen version more than it does. I work for ages on a project and find it prints out so poorly on my Epson R200 photo printer.

I realise that what I see on screen is influenced by my brightness/contrast settings etc...but is there a way to get out of my printer exactly what I see on screen?

I understood that Elements had a configuration built in, but when I used this the screen seemed so dark i could hardly work on it. I'm sure I'm doing something simple so wrong somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Forgot to mention, I am using Photoshop 7...yeah I know...but it saves me learning later versions all over again.

You can start by running the Adobe Gamma software located in the control panel.

Start > Control Panel > Adobe Gamma and follow the instructions

sam

you also said:
I work for ages on a project and find it prints out so poorly on my Epson R200 photo printer.

Are you using photo paper thats been approved for that printer and are you setting all the print options exactly as listed on the paper instructions?

If not, the results can look terrible especially on glossy or semi glossy paper.

There are usually 4 or 5 critical settings.

Photoshop works best when it manages the color during the print process. It can only do this if the printer driver has the option to turn off color management. If the R200 has this ability, then turn off R200 color management. In either case, the printer needs to know what kind of paper it is printing on. The Epson 2200 and 2400 ship with support for Epson papers. I don't know if the R200 does the same. If you use a different paper, you will need to supply a color profile for the R200/paper combination. If the R200 lacks these capabilities, you may be SOL.

If Photoshop manages the color process, it needs the color profile for the R200/paper combination. If this info is missing, Photoshop cannot accurately print the image. You access all this by using Print with Preview option.

Your monitor must also be color calibrated before it can display the image accurately. While Adobe's gamma program provides a rudimentary function, the best results come from using a hardware based calibration tool like the one available from X-Rite/Monaco.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have had a go at the Adobe Gamma correction, but my screen is now so bright it is too harsh to work with. Not sure I've done this properly.

I might just have to set my contrast/brightness on screen to a comfortable level, print a picture, then guage from the printed out version whether I need to make things look darker or lighter on screen in Photoshop to get what I want from the printed version?

before running A Gamma you need to turn the contrast to the highest level.

after running A Gamma you can return the contrast to a normal level

The first time I tried A Gamma It took me two or three tries to get the Gamma settings correct. Maybe because I terribly color blind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back