Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Outlook with Microsoft Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terpsfan

Programmer
Dec 8, 2000
US
Ok, I've installed Outlook 2000 on a Windows 2000 Server machine at home. How do I configure Outlook with Exchange? The first dumb question is, does Exchange automatically come with 2000 Server? Because it's asking me the name of my Exchange Server.

No. Try Tools / Options / Mail Services / Reconfigure Mail Support....

Barnaby

Exchange is a seperate program with a totally seperate install process. Unless it is installed on your network then you wont be able to configure outlook to work with an Exchange Server. Is it a network or a standalone 2K server you have outlook installed on.

It's a standalone I use for my own private network at home for development purposes. I found a site that I could download a trial version of Exchange.

You will need to install your trial version on a server. Is it exchange 5.5 or 2000. Depending on which version you have there are different ways to set it all up. We have exchange 2000 and have it installed on a win2k server domain controller with active directory.
Having installed it and created your mailboxes, then install outlook on a client and follow the wizard when it first starts up asking for exchange server name and mailbox name. It's not totally straightforward i'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back