Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring new IP710 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

logicacmg000

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
US
I am new to firewalls.

I need to know how to configure a new nokia Ip710.

I connected the serial cable in the console and try to access hyper terminal but it does not connect to the firewall. I was wondering someone can show me how that is done.
Thanks.

Connect the Serial cable to your COM port and the other to your IP710 Console port. Open Hyperterminal, fill in some decription (if you have not user hypertrm it will ask you for your telephone location code etc fill in and continue)

After you type a description for the new connection select the COM port your are using on your machine, usually COM 1, then click OK.

Ensure you have these settings for the port settings:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

Click Ok and then hit the Enter key a couple of time. You should get the Nokia setup if the IP710 is at factory setting. Go through this to setup Nokia, network interface then you can administer it via Voyager.

Once you have your Nokia networking all setup correctly, you can install/setup Checkpoint.

Akiwondo (MCSE, CCSE)

I can connect through hyper terminal now and it boots up into the login prompt. At that I enter admin/password and login.

However, now I need to give it an IP and hostname and load the software but I don't know how to do that. I need to install NGX R60 on there.

More would be greatly appreciate.
Many thanks.

I figured a part of it. At the "loading boot mnanager" prompt, I hit "any key" to enter command mode. I was able to give it a serial number, etc. I guess I need to load the image from somewhere, where do I do that from? I guess load it to a FTP server and then get the image from there.

I needed to give it 2 IP addresses, an internal and external. Which of these ethernets should I assign to be internal and external?

1) eth-s1p1
2) eth-s1p2
3) eth-s1p3
4) eth-s1p4
5) eth1
6) eth2
7) eth3
8) eth4

Thanks again for the help in advance. You guys can help to save my job.

run lynx from the command prompt which will give you a text browser where you can configure ip's/routes etc. The checkpoint software may already be installed (under 'manage installed packages' in lynx) if not you will need to download from the checkpoint site and install over ftp

It doesn't make much difference which interface you use for which ip.

Stu

I see 8 interfaces so which one do I know is what?

Which is the one that came built in and which is the nic card that I added to this firewall?

Each interface that I assign an IP to should also get connected to the LAN?

Can you give the interface and IP without loading any checkpoint/nokia software on the firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back