Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring NetgearFVS318 with 10.0 ip addres

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmorker

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
AU
hi,
i have setup FVS318 with the default settings i.e 192.168.0.1 and set it up as a dhcp router. when i connect a pc which gets the ip from router, i can browse the internet.
when i change the router to 10.0.0.250/24 and no dhcp router. then i assign the pc a static ip 10.0.0.150/24 and gateway as 10.0.0.250. no dns, dns is configured on the router PPPoe . with this settings i cannot browse the internet.the error is that it cannot find server or the dns server on the webpage.
i know some devices are very particular, so does this mean i can use the router with only 192.... settings.
thanks for the help in advance

Configuring DNS on the PPPoE of the router won't help your PC find a DNS server. If you're going to user static IP on the PC then you need static entries for DNS. Only if you use router provided DHCP will the DNS setting get pushed to the PC.

hi,
i have setup static dns entries on my pc and still when i open i.e it comes up with dns error. it seems that the router FVS318 does not carry out the dns work....
any help on how to setup..

Hi,

I have a similar setup on my Symantec firewalls. If I want to assign a 10.0.0.0/24 network I just change the DHCP server settings on the firewall. If I want the PC to have a static IP - I set the DNS server to be the same address as the LAN interface on the Firewall. The Firewall uses PPoE to authenticate to the ISP and picks if its DNS servers that way

Hope this helps

Hi,
the router FVS318 somehow managed to work from the default 192 to the static 10.0.... address and i also managed to connect the pc to it.
now i seem to have another problem, which is that the router did not come with any predefined port for pptp (i have upgraded to latest firmware) so i created a tcp port 1723 and have done port forwarding to my MS RAS server. when i try and do a test vpn to my office i get error 800 at my home pc.. i have checked the logs on ras server and no entries made. somehow the port forwarding needs more work. some one menioned that i need to setup GRE ? how..

nmorker

Has anyone with a 10.0.0.0 subnet been able to make a client to FVS connection? I'm wondering because I just setup a FVM318, that has a LAN IP of 10.200.1.1 and DHCP off, I can't make a Client to Site connection. It seems to get stuck on Phase 2.

Sun, 01/25/2004 23:09:47 - FVM318 IPsec:cannot respond to IPsec SA request because no connection is known for 10.200.1.0/255.255.255.0-166.93.184.162=====166.93.54.25-192.1

What's weird is that I can make a site to site connection without any problems.

Has anyone run into this or found a fix?

BTW, one of my FVM318s dies on me yesturday. All I did was disable DHCP on it (wanted to check if the problem with not being able to make a client to Site was haveing DHCP turned of as this one was on subnet 192.168.75.1) and it started rebooting and wouldn't stop. Hopefully it was just a quirk on that one unit and not something that will be problematic on other units.

Just wanted to post an update. I was able to make a client to FVM318 connection with the subnet of 10.200.1.1 with DHCP off. What is weird is that it only works if I set the VPN up with remote access can be only access by one IP. The reason I say it's weird is because I can set it to almost anything when the LAN subnet is 192.168.*.*.

Just wanted to give an update incase anyone else runs into the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back