Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Multiple domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandak7

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi All

I am planning to host multiple web sites in our web server.
Right now our web server is hosted with one website.Now I want to add two more website to the same web server using name based virtual host.

I have some questions about configuring our local DNS server.Now, How can I add the new domain names and their mx records to the existing local dns server.We are using the same static ips for both email and website .Already we informed our ISP to map the new domains to the same static ip.

mydomain.com ------ existing
mail.mydomain.com ---existing

mynewwebsite1.com ------New
mail.mynewwebsite1.com -----New

mynewwebsite2.com ---New
mail.mynewwebsite2.com ----New
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Nanda

If your talking about an internet dns server the entries should be identical to your existing domain entry.

I am talking about local dns server running on windows 2000 adv server.As said I am using the single static ip 65.70.102.233 for all our websites which i am going host in our local web server.I would like to know,how to configure dns if I have multiple website with singe static ip.

Thanks in Advance
Nanda

Any one out there to answer my questions?

Thanks
Nanda

As Freemansweb stated, your entries for the new domains will look exactly like your current domain, except that you will use the new domain name instead of the current one.

What do you not understand?

Thanks Serbtastic.

Do I need to create new zone in dns server for each domain name.please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Nanda

Yes, each domain is a zone. SO by going by your example it would look like:

mydomain.com ------ 123.123.123.123
mail.mydomain.com ---123.123.123.234

mynewwebsite1.com ------123.123.123.123
mail.mynewwebsite1.com -----123.123.123.234

mynewwebsite2.com ---123.123.123.123
mail.mynewwebsite2.com ----123.123.123.234

aussuming that the mail and web servers are two different server of course. Running AD has nothing to do with this. Create a zone for each, and configure them as if they were the only site on that IP.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

I am planning to host multiple web sites in our web server. One server or two per skotman's reply?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Glen,
My posting was for one web server and one mail server as nandak7 was also asking about e-mail. If you just doing web then ignore the mail.xxx.com. Let us know if you have any questions. I'm going to try and write an FAQ on it either today or monday. It would get done this weekend except I'm moving accross town.

Scott Heath

Its good to have FAQ on this topic.

I created separated zone for our new domain and added A and MX records.When I test from outside my network,it goes to my first website but not to my virtual web site ie I think this problem is related to Tomcat web server .

But within our nework,if I type it goes to godaddy.com where we registered our domain.I think this should not happen.I feel once again I have some other DNS issues.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Nanda

Remember, external DNS (dns clients not looking directly at your dns serveR) will take 24-48 hours to see the change. Also nslookup and ping are your best friend when trouble shooting DNS issues. Also may want to check out for external information.

Scott Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back