Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Multilink PPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
I have a Cisco 2500 series router that I am trying to configure with multilink PPP. I like to combine two channels to become one for better bandwidth. Does someone out there know how to do this?

Thanks

1935, when you say "two channels", is it two Serial interfaces? 2 BRI interfaces? Can you post your config? Basically, you just need to use ppp encapsulation and put the command 'ppp multilink' on the interfaces. The details will change depending on the interface.

D.

Hello,

Actually the problem I am having with the Cisco 2500 Series Router is that I have one spid number configured but the router thinks that there are two B-Channels instead of one. Also, the one spid number is some how being dialed out twice. Have you ever seen anything like this and what could I do to fix the problem?

Thanks

Well, the number MUST be dialled twice in order to set up the two channels. The problem arises if every B-channel has a different IP address. Are you using a Dialer? Try this:

interface BRI0
no ip address
!also 'ip address negotiated'
no ip directed-broadcast
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool-member 1
no fair-queue
ppp authentication chap
ppp multilink
!
interface Dialer1
ip address negotiated
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer idle-timeout 2144783
dialer string <the number you are calling to>
dialer load-threshold 1 either
dialer-group 1
no fair-queue
pulse-time 0
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap hostname <hostname>
ppp chap password <password>
ppp multilink
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

Issuing 'show isdn active' after sending out some traffic, should show two active calls to the same destination number, and 'show ip interface brief' must show one IP address in the Dialer interface.

Diego.

Hello,

I only have one channel configured on the Cisco 2500 Router. Also, the spid # is under one BRI interface and no I am not using a Dialer.

It shouldn't be dialing out twice if I only have one spid number configured?

Thanks

Here is my BRI:

interface BRI0
ip address 10.136.102.3 255.255.255.0
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
bandwidth 64
dialer idle-timeout 2147583
dialer wait-for-carrier-time 60
dialer map ip 10.136.102.4 name disaster-pri broadcast 2094371234
dialer hold-queue 20
dialer load-threshold 200 outbound
dialer-group 1
isdn spid1 2092345618 2345618
ppp authentication chap

1935, as far as I know, you just have to issue 'ppp multilink' on the interface config. The way you have it, the router sets up the second call as a SEPARATE interface and I do not know what it does in terms of ip addressing and load balancing.

Hello,

I see what you are getting at.

I have another router which is a Cisco 2600 router that has two spid numbers and I am trying to do PPP Multilink. Whould I have to put the protocol on both routers communicating with each other in order the the multilink to work? I did put PPP Multilink on the Cisco 2600 router and when I did a show ppp multilink, it displayed a message that there are no multilink bundles active. What could be causing that message?

Thanks

1935:

Sorry for the delay. I have been busy and asking for advice about your issue. Actually, I have never used spid (this is not common in my country), but if you have 2 spid numbers in the 2600 (that is, two different services ¿right?), maybe you cannot use ppp multilink. In the 2600,¿have you configured isdn spid1 and isdn spid2?¿What about trying with isdn spid1 only (same as 2500 config) with ppp multilink? As I told you, I do not know spid, so take it as an non-expert advice. I am afraid I can not tell you more; anyway, if you try, give me some feedback.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back