Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring MRTG to monitor switch ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
US
Hi,

Has anyone used MRTG to monitor the ports on a Cisco switch? I have a 3500 series switch, and I have no clue how to set up the configuration file. I've set up MRTG for my Cisco routers without a hitch, but the ports are giving me some problems. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Rich

Yeah MAN!!
I use it for all my core switches. The process is exactally the same. Just make sure you use the correct SNMP RO. The only down side that I ran into is that the config maker only polls active ports so if you add a device to a previously inactive port, you'll have to recreate the .cfg for the switch. I don't think you lose historical data if you redo .cfg if switch has the same IP. So...
in the MTRG bin directory
> perl cfgmaker yoursnmpcomm@Dev.ic.e.ip --global "WorkDir: c:\inetpub\ --output switchname.cfg

Edit .cfg
> add ( RunAsDaemon: yes ) to the first line of the .cfg file

Run .cfg
> perl mrtg switchname.cfg

Anyway, it may not be the best way but it works for me:)

Then create a webpage with links to important connections like to the backbone or to the printserver or to the router.
ENJOY

The other thing you can do with inactive ports is just un-comment the appropriate text from the config file. MRTG will then poll the ports, active or not, but you won't see any data unless the port is actually active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back