Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torp23

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
US
I bought a URL (from buydomains.com), bought a static IP address from an ISP, and installed Exchange 5.5 and IIS 4 on an NT4 server and updated with SPs to the highest ones I could find (although Exchange 5.5 might need a newer one). I already have a working web site off of my IIS installation and want to configure exchange to get email from my domain name so I can process it in Exchange. However, all buydomains.com seems to offer is 'email forwarding' where you can forward all email to a single address. It appears they also have a way to change your 'nameserver' from their defaults to something else. All I want is to get email coming into Exchange from my domain name so I can configure Exchange to place it into proper mailboxes. Can anyone please tell me how to do this, or if there is a FAQ or good internet document explaining this that I can go read, I would be happy to do that.

Scott

You need an MX record in the DNS server that handles your public IP address. (I guess buydomains.com will do this for you. I use networksolutions and configure my own.) This will forward email to your exchange server matching your domain name, (@mydomain.com). Exchange will take the first part myname@ and put it in the correct mailbox.

You were right. I contacted buydomains.com and they showed me how to set it up. Now it seems that the problem is with my Exchange configuration as I am getting non-delivery errors that have the proper IP address on it but that it couldn't get through. My IP firewall has port 25 open, so I think that the problem is with Exchange. Is there something that I should check in Exchange?

I'm assuming that your NDRs are from users trying to email you?

Is the Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service started? That's the first thing. If it is, then Telnet to the machine on port 25 (telnet ip 25) from an internal IP addres, you should receive the following response:

220 servername.domainname.net ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2653.13) ready

If that works, then your server listening for incoming email. Do the same telnet test from an internal IP using the Exchange Server DNS name. You should get the same response, and that will prove that your internal DNS is configured correctly.

Then do the same test from an outside IP address. If you get a response, then your Exchange server is receiving mail.

Hope that helps...
Doug

I found a 'round-about' fix for this issue, but it would be better if I could do this through Exchange.

I went into the account settings on the client (Outlook) and changed the outbound mailbox setting to point to the ISP's mail server instead of my Exchange server on my LAN. Now it will send the email properly, but it's too bad I couldn't set up Exchange to do this instead. I tried to enter the ISP's mail server into the 'Delivery options' section on the 'Connections' tab of the IMS properties but that didn't allow emails to be sent. Anyone have any ideas on how to configure Exchange to send the mail so the clients can be linked directly to Exchange?

In your IMS connector open it up and look on the tab that says address space set make a new one and set the domain name as * and leave everything else as default and this should help a out a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back