Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring local DNS to point to external DNS...how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
GB
Hi, we have a problem on our network at the moment, we use an external DNS server which is provided by our ISP. This is not the preferred method I've heard, and sometimes we are getting problems with name resolutions etc. Our network is a NT4 domain structure, with a mixture of Win2k PC's and servers and some Win98 PC's. How do we configure DNS so we have our LAN using our local DNS server and the get this then to point to the external DNS server for the internet name resolution for our users? We don't know whether to install DNS on a Win2k server or WinNT 4.0 server? I have no experience of configuring DNS....

Hope you can help!

Andy

When you say that you are having problems with name resolution, do you mean resolving external hosts (mail, web etc.) or your LAN hosts?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

You need to configure DNS and then use forwarders to point to your ISP DNS servers.
I would use a W2 Server for DNS.

1. If you internal domain name different from external domain name, you may use internal DNS server for internal domain (for example "int.domain.com") which would be forwarded to ISP DNS server ror other zone name resolution. 2. Another way when you have identical names (for example "domain.com")for the internal and external domain: in your internal DNS server (in your "domain.com" zone )you must create records for your external resources (such as mail servers) which uses it's real ip addresses vadimp@yandex.ru

Hello 1666,

I think you need to set up a DNS server locally, with a secondary DNS server if you have the resources to do so.
You then create zones for any local subnets you have-very straightforward.
Next using you DHCP server or individually indicate the address of the DNS server to the clients.
Once there you need to point all external requests for resolution to an outside DNS server.
This is handled in the properties of you DNS server. You need then to find a DNS server.

Hi, I configured the Win2k DNS server and then setup a forwarder to point to my ISP DNS servers....it works a treat.

You don't configure it to point to your ISP's DNS. That gets taken right out of the loop and any request that your local DNS can't service gets passed right to the Internet Root DNS servers.

With NT this part is configured pretty much automatically when you install DNS.

However if you have your own public domain the ISP will still be the "Authority" for any names in that domain until you can get the Name Server addresses changed with Network Solutions (or whoever you registered the domain with).

I wouldn't do that until you had it all set up and working internally though.

If you want send me an email and I'll send you a screen shot of what the DNS config should look like for a standard domain (Basically an SOA Record for the domain name, an MX record for your mail server and A records for any names you want to resolve in the domain)

Can you help me?

I have win2k server running AD DHCP and DNS.
I know that the DHCP and AD are configured correctly.

I have set up a DNS, we have 2 domain names registered. company1.com and company2.com.

The windows domain name is company1.com.

I can get to company2.com via IE, ping and tracert but i do not get a response for company1.com

Is this because the registered domain name(company1.com) and windows domain name(company1.com) are that same.

in the DNS froward lookup zones i only have one entry "company1.com".

Do i need to add a New Alias, New Mail Exchanger, New Domain?

I have exchange server 2000 runnning on the server and this can not access mail.company1.com but has not problems accessing company2.com.

Company1.com and company2.com are registered and hosted on the same server by the same company and even have the same IP addressess.

The server as before is running
Win2K Advance Server SP3
Exchange Server2000 SP3
Active Directory
DNS
DHCP

I have set the server primary dns to itself and i have enbled forwarder in dns to my ISP dns servers all 6 of them.

I think the problem is with both the registered domain name and windows name being the same.

can any on help

thanks
Manish

hi guys
just to let you know

i added in dns two new domains " and "mail" both point to " and "mail.company.com" respectively

this seems to have sovled the problem.

any comments on what i have done or answers to why it works now would be appreciated

Manish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back