Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Fax Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

spliterman

Programmer
Mar 22, 2005
US
I am trying to set up the fax service in small business server 2003 and am having some issues. I can get the service to receive faxes, but can not send any. I am getting fatal errors and line errors, but am sure the line is fine since it is currenty being used with a fax machine. Any suggestions?

Those general problems are tricky. I just finished getting my fax services to work after I had some problems.

In the end, this worked for me:

Control Panel -> add/remove programs -> Add/Remove Components -> uncheck fax services and click ok.

Reboot

Login and use the installation CD to launch the SBS Setup wizard and you'll find that Fax is not installed anymore. Click the dropdown and click install. Let the wizard reinstall it.

Note: You could reinstall it through the Add/Remove Components, but then for some reason, the Server Management wizards for Fax Services won't work anymore. Hence the reason for using the CD wizard.

Only other note is that I used a 4-prong telephone cord (had problems with the 2-prong). Maybe it was a fluke, but it works ok for me.

Thanks-- good to hear I'm not the only one having problems setting this up. I will give it a try.

Spliterman, make sure that you actually include the errors in your post and perhaps even the settings that you've made in the configuration, so that the answers we give don't repeat things you've already tried or assume you've done basic things that you haven't actually done. I'd be glad to help you with this, since I've set up fax services a dozen times, but I don't really know enough yet to help without specifics.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

To reiterate from ShackDaddy, more information would be helpful. Are you getting any errors in the Event Log?

Ok- They guy before me that had this position set up the service on the server, but never made it live, now I am trying to complete it.

i can receive faxes-- but can not send-- however it did send once, this was once out of about 30 or so trys.

I can hear the modem sounding like it is connecting to a fax machine, but it always gives me a "fatal error" in the fax console. The only error I get in the event viewer is "An error was encountered while sending a fax. The service will attempt to resend the fax. If further transmissions fail, please verify that the phone line, fax sending device, and fax receiving device are working properly. Sender: Bill Locke. Billing code: . Sender company: Boltaron . Sender dept: . Device name: Smart Link 56K Voice Modem. Job ID: 0x0201c738e69d089f. User name: MIS\blocke.
Please check the activity log for further details of this event."

Doesn't seem like much help. Sorry I can't give you anymore details. Thanks

Perhaps reinstalling drivers for the device might help? You could remove the device from Device Manager (though I would uninstall fax services first). Control Panel -> System -> Hardware > Device Manager -> Modems.

On reboot, sbs should recognize the device again and ask to install drivers. Make sure have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer (smlink.com)

Well- tryed again and the status in the console went to trasmitting so I got my hopes up, but if failed saying" the remote machine did not respond in time and the call was terminated" Is these possibly a way to increase the time out?

I have been having my own little fight with Faxing services on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2. I've finally narrowed down what's worked for me. I also had trouble with some of the keyword searches, so I've included those. Initially I had problems transmitting faxes with Microsoft Fax (faxing) service (services). I determined that my modem, the USR Fax Modem 5686 Model 0701 wasn't on the HAL for Windows 2003. While far fetched, I decided to try the USR Courier 56k Business Modem, Model 3453C. This resolve my outbound problems, with regards to the modem saying that "the line was busy (microsoft, fax, faxing, service)". However, it introduced a problem with receipt of faxes with the same error this thread had on sending messages. I updated the driver to the latest from USR, this did nothing. I updated the driver to "standard modem" and this did nothing. Finally, upgrading my 3453C modem to the latest revision of the firmware, in combination with the "standard modem" suggestion from this thread, seemed to have solved the problem.

This whole process reminded me why I hate modems, why I hate the 1980s technology of faxing and why I would recommend online services like Venali in the future. ;)

Hope I was able to help someone out there who went through the same problems. I don't know if the original cheaper modem would have worked with a F/W update, but when I attempted, before purchasing the new modem, the automatic update service from USR said it couldn't find my modem. GRRR!

Hopefully I am now in the clear. Why must MSFT make everything to install like showering with LAVA soap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back