Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring fax for Modular Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maya97

Technical User
Sep 10, 2007
US
Hello All,

I am trying to configure the faxing capabilities in MM 5.1. Are there any documentation as to how to set up MM for inbound and outbound faxing? Do I need a fax server first then configure MM to point to the fax server to send/receive? Do I need to configure the VMSC to do this? Will I need to build a hunt group for the faxing configuration? How can the end user view the fax in Web Subcribers Option (this is another thread I need to start :) )?

I know there's a lot of questions but I am totally confused as most of the forums are all over the place never starting at step 1.

What Event ID do you see in the MAS for FAX and in the MSS Logs?

I am not sure what to tell you at this point. You should be able to see the inbound call in the OHV and tell if it hears the fax tone or not. If you do not see it then you have other issues that need to be looked at first.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I am sorry for the late reply, I was able to retrieve the OHV information...thank Ken for the instructions in previous threads on how to get this.

Event code Call ID Information
21409 0 integration data ext 27999 calling Ext 22490
call diverted 1
21327 137326 statement 42 played
21327 112311 statement 42 played
21327 112307 statement 7 played
21204 112312 direct incoming call from ext 22490
21409 0 integration data ext 27999 calling
Ext 22490 call diverted 1
21027 112312 incoming call detected
21030 112312 call routed
21330 112312 greeting played
21327 137326 statement 4 played
21244 112307 recording started
21332 112312 statement 321 interupted by a DTMF
21279 112312 DTMF was received key pressed
Was ‘x’
21030 137327 call routed
21024 137325 release call was requested.
21345 137325 greeting playback was interrupted
By a hangup
21008 0 channel on hook

So if this was a call made from a fax mach then it looks like the MM did not hear the FAX tone from it.

Not to sound redundant but you are sure that you are using T-1 for the integration and not H.323 right?

H.323 will not support FAX. what type of fax are you testing from?

Ken Means

I just found out that we are using H.323

OK faxing will not work at all using that type of integration.

Ken Means

ok thanks...I will sit down with the others to come up with a better solution.

You can change it to T-1 or SIP and it would work but you would need to get hardware for that.

If you need help configuring it let me know.

Ken Means

Hi,

Having a similar issue but with a SIP integration from some fax machines. For a sizable percentage the voicemail records the fax tones not actually take a fax. Also on the secondary number I have it set as a VDN pointing to the Modular Messaging vector destination. The VDN works but it plays the subscribers greeting even if I try the set up as you described with a cover. This confuses senders for they think they dialed the wrong number and cancel the fax if their machine has a speaker on it. How can I setup this up so it doesn’t play the subscribers greeting?
Thank you for any ideas.

you can't set it up to not play anything. Have them record in the greeting that to send a fax press send now.

I can't remember the last time i saw someone using a fax that they were on the handset with but i am sure it still happens.

You could record just some white noise as a greeting for a mailbox but if the SIP transport is not 100% up to spec it will not be able to receive the fax.

Take it for what it is worth but if you had a T-1 or Analog connection this would not happen.

Ken Means

Hi,

The person faxing hears the recording over the fax machines speaker not a handset. The sender hears the greeting and thinks they dialed a wrong number and hits cancel. I have tried both the “Please send your fax now” and white noise greetings and both help but create other issues. I have run across a way that Avaya has presented to create an application in MM but this creates a “Are you still there?” prompt twice while the system waits for input. I have tested it with an automated fax machine and manual and get the same results. Any ideas?
A PRI is used for the incoming trunk into the CM with a SIP trunk between the CM and the MM. On the second issue you reference SIP transport not up to 100% spec. I have tracked the failed faxes to an in-house fax server from a large nationally known bank with software created because of the Y2K scare or fax machines from overseas. The end user gets a voice message with the fax tones being heard rather than a fax. Would you look at the SIP trunk as a possible concern for this or…
Thank you for helping.

What happens if you send a test fax from a fax machine that is internal and hooked to your PBX ?

I run into this every single day and the fact is that the fax protocol does not work well or at all in the IP world. If you make a test call from a internal fax and it works but all of the outside calls fail then that would indicate that the transport into the PBX or out of the far end or the LD carrier is compressing it beyond the ability recover any meaningful information. Or to even be able to know that it is an incoming fax.

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back