Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Exchange Server 2003 ActiveSync for Pocket Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperadoh

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
AE
Hi,

I would like to enable/configure my Exchange 2003 server to be able to synchronize the Inbox and calendar with PDA's. What needs to be done on the Exchange server and maybe the firewall - and what needs to be done on the client/PDA?

TIA

Desperadoh

Under ExSysManager

Global Settings - Mobile Services

Should be all you need.

From the IPAQ's themselves, you need port 80 open on the firewall if external.

Cheers

AJ

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA, CCAI

Hi AJ,

Thanks - is that really all?
Do you know if the mobile devices can be set up to use SSL instead?
Port 80 is not open, I use https for the OWA and would be happy if it could stay that way.

Desperadoh

Hi,

I didn't get SSL to work with activesync when i tried it. I have SSL & OWA working OK, but the PDA doesn't seem to logon.

Make sure the user has rights to log in.

Also, I have to use domain\username to log in for mine.

Matt

I will give SSL a try - I am not too happy with opening port 80. Am I too paranoid - is it OK to open for port 80? Otherwise what is Microsoft's intention with the Mobile Service, if it's too risky to use http?

Desperadoh.

Hi.

I'm setting up Exchange 2003 to work with OWA and OMA.
The OWA with ssl is working perfect.

But I'm getting an error when I try to sync my Motorola 220 smartphone.
The error is:

INTERNET_38
INTERNET_38 (ERROR_INTERNET_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID): Synchronization failed due to an incorrect SSL certificate common name.
Explanation: The name of the server that is running Microsoft Mobile Information Server does not match the common name on the certificate.

User Action: On your device, click Start, click Programs, click ActiveSync, click Tools, click Options, click Server, and then make sure that the correct server name is entered.

_____

My problem is that I don't have an front end server. I issued a certificate to my mailserver "mailserver.domain.com" and the phone access an public ip xx.xxx.xxx.x
So the servername i put in the phone is the public IP address wich isn't the same name as the server...

So how do I solve this??

Kind regards,

Nicolai

Skatter you should post your question in a new thread.

In repsonse to configuring Exchange Sync:

If you want this to work from an External location then you would want port 80 open. You can configure it to use SSL. OMA is a very scaled down version of OWA. By default you have OWA installed on your system and OMA. You will need to enable OMA so that you can connect to the site. Please note that you can control user access to either of these sites on a per-user basis. This is done on the user object in the Active Directory.

To enable OMA:
Launch the ESM and drill down to this location.
Global Settings | Mobile Services

Bring up the properties on Mobile Services and you can enable OMA there. Once you do this, test it by pointing your browser here:
You can also use OWA here:
If you want to SSL secure this website, it takes a bit of work but it can be done. Here is an acticle that explains this.

If you want more information on troublshooting this, read here:

I hope this stuff helps.

Steven Parent [MSFT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back