Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Directory Services for Cognos Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer69

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
GB
Partly due to having never used Netscape Directory Server I am struggling to provide the correct base distinguished name to the configuration wizard when configuring Cognos Administrator. Although I am experienced in Win2k directory services I find that that the settings that I provide do not work. FOr example, the base distinguished name I provided was OU=Domain Controllers,DC=<domain>,DC=com, which in a win 2k environment would suffice. However, the message was returned 'Directory Server is unavailable'. I then changed this to O=Domain Controllers,DC=<domain>,DC=com, as per the installation notes and still no joy. Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Sorry everybody. When I said Administrator in the above thread I meant to say Access Manager. Grateful for any help.

I've had some recent problems with Base Distinguished Names not matching either. Try something very simple first, such as &quot;o=abc&quot; and nothing else. (Note that it is case sensitive). Make sure to change the BaseDN in Netscape Directory Server (NDS) via the Netscape Console before making the matching changes in the Cognos Config. Wiz.

Good luck,
Gaston

PS. If it still does not work, I'd recommend uninstalling/re-installing NDS rather than troubleshooting. (If you have the Installation Guide for Series 7, it starts on page 23.)

The dsn must defined the same through the whole machine. If you go to your network configuration if it says machinename.cognos.com your suffix during your netscape installation MUST be o=ccognos.com and also in your configuration manager. A type error will result in a error during applying the configuration.

Martijn's note about dsn being the same is not necessarity true. I have a setup where the computer uses MS AD for everything except IWR, and Netscape for IWR. The o=cognos works fine for IWR there even though it conflicts with the distinguished name used by the computer with MS AD.

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
&quot;Magic with Data&quot;
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back