Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring an HP d145 in a wireless (peer-to-peer) network

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindowWizard

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2002
US
I recently purchased an HP d145 OfficeJet Multifunction device since it is one of the few units that will handle legal size paper. I also have installed an 802.11b wireless peer-to-peer network and want to include the printer into that network. HP has told me that the ONLY JetDirect device for the d series printers is the 200m which is for connection to a 10/100 wired LAN.

Question: Has anyone successfully added an HP d145 to a wireless network? If so, how was it done. Thank you.

I'm in the same situation. Did you find a solution.

No solution yet. Right now the d145 and the 3330 are both connected to a PC/print server that is on the wireless network. Unfortunately, this is the only simple way I see of making it work.

WW

Well, I tried to post a solution yesterday, but it doesn't look like it showed up...

I have a d145 installed on a WinXP workstation using the install from the provided CD-ROM.

Then I went to the 'printers' folder and 'shared' the 'printer' (not the fax) in the usual windows way.

Then I went to my four-year-old Win98 laptop, popped in the CD-ROM, CLOSED THE INSTALL PROGRAM THAT LAUNCED AUTOMATICALLY, and then went looking for .INF that applied to my OS, then did a 'add new printer' wizard, choose 'have disk', and went and found it the driver in question. Then I manually changed the 'port' to the 'share' I created on the 'host' XP machine.

You can'd do the scanning, faxing/ocr stuff, but you can certainly print.

Give that a try... if you then still have trouble, let me know, and I'll try to replicate what I did with step-by-step.

I think HP's statement that you have to use their print server is accurate if you want full use of the d145 (faxing, scanning, ocr, etc), but you don't need it just to print.

Now, if I could just get a driver installed on the XP box that would print to a Brother 1240 accross a network, I'd be in business.

That's the way it is currently installed, as a local printer to a networked workstation and shared accordingly. That is NOT how I want it to be. I want to add a networked print server on the wireless network, which will allow the printer to be networked without having to be shared.

As a shared printer, the networked workstation always has to be on to be able to use the printer. The whole point to networking the printer directly is to be able to use the printer without having to have any particular workstation operating.

Gotcha... I misunderstood the original question. I think then you're stuck using the HP print server... I tried to use the print server built into my router, and couldn't get it to work... the printer complained about there not being bidirectional communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back