Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a Win2k Server / VPN Connection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2001
US
I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I'm attempting to allow a few remote users to access their company server from home using cable modem connections through a VPN using Win2k Professional. They would be logging into a Win2k Server, which is behind a Linksys NAT router using a static DSL IP.

Windows 2000 Server configuration:
- Linksys 4 Port NAT Router (Ports 1723 & 47 are forwarded to the Win2k Server), router is acting as the DHCP server.
- 1 3com NIC.

My question:

1) In configuring the Routing & Remote Access Server, do I (a) use the remote access server option, or (b) use the VPN server option? I ask this, because if I use the VPN option, don't I need dual NIC's or is there a way to do it with one NIC? Or if I use the remote access option, how do I configure Win2k Server and Win2k Pro clients?

I hope this makes sense, but I am not able to make a solid connection. I'm able to get it to start the connection, verifying user name & password, and than it just sits, and then errors out with a Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

Has anyone else experienced this or done a configuration for a similar scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Sincerely,

Mike Johnson

Is there a way to avoid the blocking of VPN-ports by the cable operator? Is it possible to use another port? How did you get it working or doesn't your cable operator block the VPN ports?

Filip,
if your provider is blocking the ports, then this won't work..

You could, however, connect to a host on the internet (trusted host), which forwards both PPTP and GRE ports to some other ports on your router, then forward them back to the original port on your VPN server... that should work with PPTP (not with L2TP or IPSec)

good luck

Peter --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post was helpfull, please click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back