Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a Win2k Server / VPN Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2001
US
I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I'm attempting to allow a few remote users to access their company server from home using cable modem connections through a VPN using Win2k Professional. They would be logging into a Win2k Server, which is behind a Linksys NAT router using a static DSL IP.

Windows 2000 Server configuration:
- Linksys 4 Port NAT Router (Ports 1723 & 47 are forwarded to the Win2k Server), router is acting as the DHCP server.
- 1 3com NIC.

My question:

1) In configuring the Routing & Remote Access Server, do I (a) use the remote access server option, or (b) use the VPN server option? I ask this, because if I use the VPN option, don't I need dual NIC's or is there a way to do it with one NIC? Or if I use the remote access option, how do I configure Win2k Server and Win2k Pro clients?

I hope this makes sense, but I am not able to make a solid connection. I'm able to get it to start the connection, verifying user name & password, and than it just sits, and then errors out with a Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

Has anyone else experienced this or done a configuration for a similar scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Sincerely,

Mike Johnson

Has anyone been able to get this to work. I have the same problem. WIN2K server setup to accept VPN access. My router is a Cisco 1720. I tried a static nat on just port 1723 and a static nat open to all ports. My client gives the same error: 721

Can anyone help me?

I have the same problem. So, is there a way to make a VPN connection if the ISP is blocking GRE packets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back