Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a laptop to connect to a Linux Server via the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelPotts

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I want to know how to configure a laptop to access a linuix server via the web, the laptop is used by on the road sales reps and they have to dial in using a modem to the server, I need to know how to set this up, I am pretty sure they should be using a ssh connection, am I right in saying this, if so, how do I set it up? Could someone please enlighten me with some instructions on how to do this

Regards

Michael Potts

You might wish to consider a VPN connection.
Just Google for VPN RoadWarrior or similar.
(The road warrior part refers to remote mobile users.)
No I havn't attempted this yet, but I'm researching it too.
G'luck.

ß

It all depends on what you want to do...

When you say "dial in using a modem to the server" - can we assume you mean dial into the Internet and remotely access the server?

Some functions - like mail etc - could be done directly on the internet connection with suitable security issues addressed. For more complex access, then a VPN would be more suitable.

If you actually meant dial the server directly - which would then be equiped with a handful of modems - then that could be done too.

Hi Guys,

Yes the Linux server is a text server, I want to access a accounting package that runs from this. What I am getting at is, I want to be able to configure the laptops that want to access this from outside the LAN to use the accounting package and access their email. They all have dial up modem accounts to the internet, as I don't want to give a direct dial in number to the linux box so just one person can access it at a time, I want to be able to have multiple people access the server, so yes, remote access is what I want. They are all running XP if that helps.

Regards
-Mike

You could go either way - direct public access or via a VPN.

With direct access, you would install an SSH daemon on the linux server and redirect the SSH port from the Internet firewall.

With VPN, you would install a VPN server on the firewall to allow you to route SSH traffic to the linux server via the tunnel.

Which one? With VPN, you would be able to run other applications other than via SSH. If this is required, then this is the way to go. Also, depending on what sort of VPN you are using - IPSec etc - the connect could be more secure - especially if you use VPN client software that must be signed to connect.

Saying that, it also means using a VPN capable firewall - if you just want an SSH connection and make sure folks use proper passwords, then public connections may be the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back