Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure Win2000 server as a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirCon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2003
ID
Hi all,

This is my first question here, please bear with me :)

A client of mine ask me to help them to configure win2000 server as a domain. And it's been so long since the last time I installed a server. So I'm kind of confuse here and really need help on this

Currently they have a server already setup and 11 workstation (Win98 & WinXP). All of them cannot join to domain server. If I set the workstation using "TCP/IP" only with "Microsoft network clients" to log into a domain, the clients cannot join to domain at login time. If I set the clients to work on WorkGroup then all of them cannot see each other. They can only see other computer using "Find computer...".

The server using IP 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The clients using IP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.11

My question is, what should I do to configure the server as a domain and to connect the clients to the server properly ?

Any help or advice will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

-- AirCon --

I have read the FAQ's for setting up DNS. One thing I've noticed from the FAQ is "Don't set IP 127.0.0.1 as DNS server". I think this is a problem, because the server using this IP for the DNS. I've tried to configure this IP (from TCP-IP network protocol), but the server automatically reset back to this IP. How can I configure this IP? Since this server only served for local network only, can I just use IP 192.168.1.1 for the DNS ? also do I need DNS to be set or not ?

Any helps on this ?

-- AirCon --

Aircon,

Well, You must do a couple of things inorder to make this server a domain.

You must DCPROMO which will configure that server as a DC. During the DCPROMO process it should automaticly install and configure DNS. Just make sure that when you run DCPROMO you will lose all accounts on that server. You will have to recreate all user accounts. If you are going to have 98 machines connecting to your DC then you will need to install WINS on the DC. WINS will enable your 98 machines to connect to your DC.

After running DCPROMO start creating your user accounts.

Once that is done join all of your computers to the domian.

I recomend that you look into GPO's (Group Policy Objects). You can find a lot of info about GPO's on this site. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Nick

Hi nsanto17,

Thanks for your reply.

First of all (as I've mentioned) It's been so long for me since the last time I installed server (1996 with NT4 server). Now I'm kind of confused with Win2000 server (I feel like a newbie :-D ). So forgive me if I have many questions. Also since I'm not on their site right now, I only try to get this from the top of my head.

Ok, what is DCPROMO ? is that an admin tools that provided with the server or .. ?

As I recall on NT4 server, I never setup DNS on it. Now under Win2000 server should I setup DNS, or can I set this server without DNS (just like NT4) ?

Again, thanks for your reply

-- AirCon --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back