Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure Win server 2000 VPN with linksys firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxysys

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a windows 2000 server configured as VPN server behind linksys BEFSR41, all applicable ports are configured "1723..." correctly. I can use windows XP remote desktop from home to get to the server but when i use VPN i get error 721. What do i need to do to get it to work. If i get the server and the desktop in the same network i am not able to connect eitherthrough VPN.

Thanks

quoted from
Error 721: Remote PPP peer or computer is not responding. If you have tried many thing other people suggest like rebooting, reloading hardware and re-installing the VPN or dial in connection, you still get the same problem. I will suggest to check the router settings and make sure TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE) are opened. Also make sure that the router has the PPP enabled and not firewall block the traffic.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Galaxysis, did you ever find an answer to your VPN problem? I have the exact same problem - and we tried the fix that someone suggested and still no luck.

I am getting the error - I have Win. XP Pro and the server has Windows 2000 advanced.

We're going nuts trying to figure out the problem.

Clubnev

No solution yet, I am still waiting and trying.

Galaxysys

Galaxysis,
Did you ever find an answer? We finally did. We had changed network cards on the server and uninstalled the related software. The old network card software never completely uninstalled and it was interfering with the new network card. So we reformatted the server and reinstalled everything and it worked like a charm. I can now connect to the server. Except now I get disconnected after 5 minutes. So new problem but we're getting closer....

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem geting a PPTP VPN connection to a Win2k server that is behind a Linksys BEFSR41 and a cable modem. I am also running into hangs at Verifying Password and get a 721 error. I have seen many other posts here and on the web and have tried everything that was suggested.

- I have port forwarding for 1723 set up correctly and also set up port triggering to hopefully route protocol 47(GRE) traffic to the same box as my port 1723 traffic is sent to.
- I've read that some ISPs block incomming traffic on a number of ports and have called mine to verify that 1723 is open.
- I have both IPSec and PPTP enabled on the router.
- I do not have any firewall software between them.
- I can make a connection using internal machines.
- The subnet of the external machine and the VPN server are different.

I have a bad feeling that the Port Triggering setup on the LInksys router that I used to route Protocl 47 traffic to the correct box when traffic comes in over Port 1723 is not really working like I think. Is there any way I can check this?

Does anybody have any other suggestions on this?

I HAD PPTP VPN working fine through a BEFSR41 router to a WIN2K server. However, after I upgraded the router's firmware to 1.45.7 (at Linksys' suggestion for another problem I was having) it no longer works!

Now I'm getting the same symptons as daggeth.

Has anyone else experienced this wonderful phenomenon?

Does anyone know if you can go backwards and re-install the old firmware?

I called Linksys and they are beyond clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back