Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure QOS in XOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn4it

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
CA
Hi
I need a little help configuring QOS in XOS. What I need to do is configure QOS for VoIP to have the highest priority on specified ports only.

If anyone has any samples that would be appreciated.

thanks
John

I don't usually configure QoS per-port for VoIP, since best practice is to create a voice VLAN to separate broadcast traffic from data. If you're assigning specific ports to the Voice VLAN only (as opposed to 802.1Q tagging) then you can create a new QoS profile:

create qosprofile "QP7"

Note that QP7 may not work if you're using stacked pizza boxes - stacking in XOS 12 uses QP 6 and 7, so use QP5.

Then enforce the higher QoS profile for the Voice VLAN:

config vlan voice qosprofile QP7

Thanks tanderson3733
But here's my problem this is a small branch office 1 person, used to be 3. Connected to the head office with a TLS service. The internal network of the branch has only 1 vlan. Due to cost constraints the there's no QOS on the TLS and only 1 VLAN for that as well. In short we're attempting to improve this service as much as possible with a zero budget. So I need to apply the QOS to sepcific ports only and specitic services.

thanks
John

Are you trying to figure out how to provide QoS across the WAN or on the switch? They're 2 different monsters - and if you have one person and no QoS on the TLS, then I don't quite follow what you're trying to accomplish, or more specifically, what problems you're having that lead to looking at QoS.

At this point I need to provide QOS across the switch, since the business doesn't want to put out the $$$ for QOS on the TLS. I realize that by putting QOS only on our internal and branch infrastructure isn't likely going to do much. I'm being requested to do this by my management. Once this is done, if/when the symptoms persist we can turn back to the business and tell them we've done all we can. They will need to either except things the way they are or put out the $$$ for the QOS on the TLS.

thanks

OK, well back to the original question, you want to apply QoS to specific ports. For XOS, it's 2 steps:
Create the QoS profile (use QP7, or QP5 if your switches are in a stack)

create qosprofile "QP7"

Then assign the ports to that profile

configure ports <port#> qosprofile QP7

I can honestly tell you that this will do nothing for a branch site with a single user. You'll be prioritizing their traffic over themself - doesn't do anything. If there's VoIP quality problems it's either crossing the TLS, or at the main site. Unless you're enforcing the prioritization from end to end (meaning from the user's phone all the way to the PBX at the main site) then this will be nothing more than an exercise in port management.

thanks for your input, like I mentioned above, we will be setting this up at the branch and head office sides. We won't be on the TLS since that will cost $$$. This isn't a IT decision,but a business decision. I understand that this is not best practice and QOS should be configured across the TLS, but I have no power over that decision.

thanks
John

Reminds me of a funny commercial I saw a couple of years ago - and office employee is helping some guy do something on his computer, and he says something like "Oh, I have an MBA", to which the employee responds "Oh, OK then I better just do this for you".

Business decisions made in todays economy trying to save a dollar here and there have way too often cost much more in the long run. People (i.e. "management") who look at nothing more than bottom line costs know nothing about what is actually needed to make systems operate. The work time lost by employees who have sub-par performance on their phone system and other "tools" potentially costs the company more than they would spend on proper planning and procurement of infrastructure.

Someone made a decision to buy a VoIP phone system, likely because they were told that it would save telecom costs especially involving remote sites. Now, the remote site has an issue that uses your time to fix (just because they're not buying equipment or services, it's not "free of charge" unless you're donating your time without a paycheck), and also costs in productivity of the remote worker along with anyone who needs to interact with them. How much are they really saving by not adding that QoS to the WAN now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back