Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure number of files per B2D folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonC25

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have several servers running nightly Backup-to-Disk jobs. All of the servers except one will save up to 4 files in the Backup-to-Disk folder. However, I have one server that will only save up to 2 files in its folders. Where can I set this. I have compared the servers and everything looks identical.

I have folders for Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and Full. All folders do the same thing.

All depend on the bakup size. If you have the backup to disk file size set to 1 gig and its a 4 gig backup. Then you will have 4 files. If its a 2 gig backup then you will only have two files. You can adjust the media set to retain more and then it should create more files.

I have the B2D folder size set to 50GB, but the file size is only about 12GB.

I just need it to keep more of the older files. I would like 4 Monday files, 4 Tuesday files....etc. So I will always be able to access 4 weeks worth of backups in any folder.

Ok so set the overwrite protection for two week for that media set. Set the job to overwrite only.

Currently the Overwrite Protection is set to None and Append is set to 4 weeks. Its the same on all the servers, the other two servers are working just fine. I just don't see why this one is different.

Assuming compression is not turned on, the only other thing I can think of would be that your backup is skipping files for some reason. Is the type of data exactly the same on all servers? Are all the same options installed on all servers (i.e. Advanced Open File Option)? Have you compared the job logs and made sure that files and/or directories are not being skipped for some reason?

We the Exchange Agent on this server and the Open File Option is on all servers. I just want 4 weeks worth of files in one folder.

Don't worry about the size of the .bkf files in the backup to disk folders. The default is 1G. Once each .bkf file reaches 1G, a new file is started. You just need to adjust your media retention settings of each folder to retain each dataset or backup for 4 weeks, then that space will be overwritten with new backups after the ones older than 4 week have expired. In Backup Exec, media retention rules for disk are the same as for tape. Also, don't expect the Exchange backups to take up the same amount of space as the AOFO backups on other servers. You may have to adjust your B2D folder size and then tweak your media retention settings to have it behave exactly the way you want it to, but it IS possible to do with with Backup Exec. Good luck!

I have the Overwrite Protection set to NONE and the Append is set to 4 weeks. So I would think that it should create a new file every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back