Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure firebox II with console cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
US

Does anyone know how to configure a Firebox II with a console cable?
I has a firebox that I can not connect through the private port due to a configuration error.
I need to get back into the Firebox to re-configure the private port to get the whole thing working again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

You plug it in and launch the System Center, when it asks for the address, click cancel then run the Quick Setup Wizard to create a generic config and assign the IP.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

To reset the box to defaults, It a std patch cable between trusted extenal and DMZ (the one on the left and the one on the right.) switch on and all the lights will flash. This is factory reset.... If thatsb any good.,

Thanks for all the help.
I do appreciate it.
I have to wait until after hours to noodle with it.

Jamie

Thanks for the replys.
Here is what has happened.
I run Quick Setup Wizard with a crossover cable in between the External and the Optional ports. The "SysA" light is blinking as it should.
I have a network cable plugged into the trusted port from my network.
When I get to the end of the configuration, it looks like it is going to up load the new image and it stops with an error that says "connect() failed"

Anyone have any clues on how to connect to this thing?

Hello-

I am having the same issue. Connecting via console cable just sits at 'waiting'.

Upon connecting with crossover - it either sits at waiting, or gives the connect() Failed error. Have you found a solution?

No sir,
I have not found a solution.
Well, I kind of did. I ordered a new one. Luckly I had a new one in the budget for this quater.

I have tried connecting to it both through the trusted port and the console port with no luck.

If I come up with something, I will post it.
Thanks for checking up,
Jamie

Ok Mark.
I got it figured out. Everyone was really close, but just a bit off.
So, you take the serial cable that came with the Watchguard and put it between the Serial port and the Console Port.
Then you take the Cross over cable that came with the Watchguard and go from the trusted port to your computer that has the Watchguard software on it.
The managment computer with the Watchguard software needs to have an IP in the 192.168.253.X. DO NOT USE 192.168.253.1 that is what the Firebox uses.
Then boot your firebox. When the Armed and Sysb lights go on, pull the serial cable out of one of the ports. Then you should be able to ping 192.168.253.1 and that will show you can talk with the firewall.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help further.
Jamie

Hi,

I´ve got the same problems with my Firebox II as mentioned above. The box seems to be absolutely unaccessible. There is no LED lit on the front and neither the cross-over cable reset, nor the reset via a nullmodem cable works (I haven´t got the original Watchguard one, but I use a standard nullmodem cable).
Even the hint with the crossover and serial reset doesn´t work.

Is there any other possibility to reset the box (e.g. setting a jumper inside the box)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back