Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configure factory-default

Status
Not open for further replies.

macubergeek

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2004
US
I have a 501 Pix firewall with 3DES support. My question is if I run this command will I blow away my 3des support key in addition to resetting the box to factory defaults? If it will, how do I dump the 3des license key beforehand and how would I reenter it afterwards?

Hey...unfortunately you will lose the isakmp key if you do a factory default restore.

You can dump your current config by doing a sh run and copying and pasting the data into notepad as a backup.

If you are using the PDM you have an option to show the configuration in a new window. Just Copy that into notepad and save it.

Both options above require that you actually know what the key is. Other wise...your sol.

If your using the command line you can just copy the isakmp entries in your saved text file and then copy them back in under config t.

If there is other information that you would like to restore from the backup you cand do the same procedure..

Hope this helps....

The activation key should not be erased but just to be on the safe side I would copy the activation key and save it on a text file. Do a show ver and copy the activation key exactly as it appears on the output displayed.

Hi,

I use this comand all the time (setting up test labs etc) and have never lost an activation key (yet!!).

Regards Colin.

i normally do this (ONLY WITH SERIAL CONSOLE CABLE !!! )

enable
config t
wr erase
reload

(follow the config)

Hey Guys,

I got it sorted out. I had some bad routes in my main router at my main site. All is cool now. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back