Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONFIGURE EMAIL ALERTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcUser

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
GB
For some reason no matter which option I use with Arcserve I cannot seem to get an email notification from our server. The backup is running fine and the recipients have been configured correctly - what else can I check

You have to configure ARC-Serve to login to the Exchange server with a valid Exchange account.

Yes you have to have Exchange Arc-Serve will not work with just SMTP mail. X-)

If you have Exchange configured correctly you also need to install Outlook on your backup server and leave it open.

And the final step is to start alerts.

Thanks for the POST. 1 Question - you say start alerts, how do I do that ? & 2 Must Outlook be running for alerts to work ??

Yes Outlook must be running for alerts to work.
You have to start the alert notification via the Alert manager. You can start alert manager via the main interface and click quick access and the click on the alert manager icon then you will see a green arrow click on that to start alert manager services.

After each reboot you must go through this drill to get alerts.

Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services and set the Cheyenne Alert service to Automatic. Alert will always be running on your computer. Do this on the computer that ArcServe is configured to send Alerts to.

I am not being thick but I cannot find the ALERT Menus any where ? Any ideas.

I am using Arcserve 6.61 build 834 on WIN NT4

Thanks for the replies.

I now have Outlook running - the alert service running and the correct password on the server. IT STILL DON'T WORK. Anyone got any other ideas, could I have faulty registry or something ??

I found that you do not need outlook to be open on the backup server, however, I did fing that the Cheyenne Alert Service needs to be configured to log on as the backup operator. If your backup server and exchange server are on diffferent domains like mine, you must add both accounts to the service. I created two different backup user accounts, one for each domain. Log into Alert Manager and be sure that the mailbox mathces the alias given to the user account on the exchage server. I hope this helps...I spent many hours trying to get this to work and I did the settings above and now I get my alerts.

One more thing....in ARCserve manager where you configure the email accounts....make sure that you log into the server (there is a tab) as the user account that the backup machine is logged into. Why? Have no idea but it works.

I hope this helps.

The 'Alert Feature' worked perfectly on our backup servers. I will outline some steps that should be taken in order for this to work properly.

1. Make sure that Alert Manager is installed on your backup server.
2. You need to configure Alert Manager with a service account of the Exchange server\servers that have the mailboxes of
the alert recipients. eg an account that have full rights to all your exchange mailboxes.
3. Configure Alert Manager with a valid mailbox that you will be using to send the alerts to the reciients.

I am going to send you a couple of links which will explain the setup process in more detail. When you have completed setting up the Alert Manager the very last step will be to modify your Backup jobs and underneath options select the different alerts you want to be e-mailed to you each night.

That last thread really helped I am now emailing alerts from an additional server - Hopefully it will work from all servers now. Cheers everyone.

I know how to set up alerts and I can get them working on some servers, but on others, when I modify the jobs and enter my alert events, as soon as I click OK and close the modify screen, all my changes are lost. Has anyone come across this or know why it is happening?

This is a good thread. However I have tried everything suggested, and it looks like it is working, but no message is sent.

When I send a test message after configuring the Alert I receive an Alert Manager message box &quot;Test message sent to Alert service on machine <local server name>&quot; and that's as far as it goes.

Any suggestions? My display name and user name are identical on the Exchange server. I configured the Alert service Login As Service. I am using Outlook 2000 with the corporate option for service to the Exchange server.

I've hit a wall working on it for a day and a half now.

Thanks for any help!!
Chase

All, since the thread started a while ago I have managed to get all our servers working with the alerts. The secret seems to be getting the right service accounts.

I have the emails sent as admin and the services started with another account you could also try the server admin program that installs with Arcserve. Your email profile names need to match those that are on the server so if you have ms exchange settings as the named account you need the same in the logon to option of arcserve.

Keep posting if you cant get it to work, maybe I can advise further

Thanks for all the posts. They have helped.
I need a little more help if possible.

If it is successfully loging into the mail system and shows that the test message is sent to the local Alert service but the *.rec files are just building up in the \alert\eventlog directory, does this mean that my Logon As Service is incorrect?

The *.rec files are the test messages sent that didn't go anywhere. The \alert\log\activity.log file repeatedly shows 'Failed to Send Email (183)'.

Any ideas, or should I keep trying different account for the Logon As Service service?

Thanks,
Chase

Make sure that Arcserve &quot;Server Admin&quot; starts with an account that is not linked to the mailbox you are trying to send from. A global account for backups would be better, it also save time when changing admin passwords.

The Arcserve &quot;Alert Manager&quot; should start with the admin user for emailing, you also set the mailbox to logon from here. You can test these settings. On the file menu make sure you set the MS Exchange Settings. These must login as the correct mailbox name (if profile name is called fred then this setting needs to be fred&quot;). Make sure Alert service is running, you may need to look in the services incase another account starts the service and doesnt have correct priviledges.

You also need to make sure you have the alerts running from inside Arcserve, i.e configure for complete, incomplete and the like.

I am getting closer. The MS Exchange Settings are working now. It doesn't tell me it can't logon. I get a successfull message when I choose Logon to Mail System also.

The only thing wrong is that the test message is not sent. I do have the Outlook 2000 client opened.

One thing confusing is this. I set the Logon As Service from the Local Security Settings in Windows 2000. If I setup the Logon As property in the Cheyenne Alert service then the MS Exchange Settings are rejected. So I leave it set to logon to the local system account.

Any advice at this point? I'm not sure why the Alert service isn't communicating with the email client.

Thanks for all the help!!
Chase

I'm successfull! I've finally configured everything correctly.

For Windows 2000 platforms using Arcserve 2000:
Do not setup the Logon As property inside the Alert service.
Do configure the Logon As Service local policy.
Do not use the same account name for the Arcserve administrator and the email account: display name, alias and profile name.
I used the same name for my mailbox display name, alias and the profile name set up on the Outlook 2000 client on the server where Arcserve 2000 is installed.
Give the Arcserve admin user (hopefully a global/domain acct) the permissions to use the mailbox. That way the Arcserve acount logged into the server will be able to open the mailbox.

Good Luck!!
Chase

I actually had to do this recently without having the convenience of having an Exchange emal server.

Instead I used a small email program called Blat ( ) to accomplish this.

Simply install Blat and set Arcserve execute a program (i.e. Blat) after your backjob is finished. For good measure, I attach the Arcserve.log file too.

Regards

i configured alert manager on pdc and added alerts within Arcserve Manager on pdc, and as soon as I left the modify job screen, all the alert configuration was lost. This is happening on all the servers I try to configure, and I am looking for a reason why this is happening.

Tim this is exactly what is happening to me, it's driving me mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back