Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure a SATA HD as a slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandDUser

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
US
I bought a new PC that had 1 SATA drive installed. I bought a second one to install myself. The two HDs are identical (WD 250 GB SATA-II). The drive that came with the PC has no jumper pins, and the second one came with no jumper pins, so my understanding is that SATA does not need jumper pins? (I've only dealt with IDE previously).

So I have both drives in, and when I go to CMOS, it says both drives have been detected, but both as masters.

1.) I have jumper pins, can I use them?
2.) Or does this have to be congured in CMOS/BIOS?

Thank you!

Nevermind. Since the neither HD came with the Data Lifeguard, I downloaded it and got it to work.

Just in case others read this:
As this was a SATA drive it connects to a single SATA connection on the motherboard, there is no master/slave with SATA connections (one drive one connection)

Besides that, if only one of the drives has an operating system installed the motherboard would just boot from that drive anyway, wether or not this second drive was configured ahead of the old one in the boot sequence!

Ideally though, you need set the "boot drive" first in the boot sequence, that's it.
And if the second drive is brand new, use tools in "disk management to initiallize and format" so it can be seen and used.
There was know need for the "Data Lifeguard" software to be used.
Follow this path::
my computer/control panel/administritive tools/computer management/storage/disk management
Click on drive, format/initiallize etc
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back