Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetorvik

Programmer
Sep 6, 2001
FI
Hi,

Any ideas what causes following configuration error?

-- Error message --
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls'.

Source File: c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config

Source Error: Line 326: <add assembly=&quot;*&quot; />

The funny thing is that it doesn’t occur every time I run my application. Any ideas?

Thanks
Teemu

Just an idea - did you install as administrator and then use a different login for developing?

TealWren

I'm getting the same problem, have you found a solution?

Hi,
I have the same problem, I'm getting mad. It happens to me about half the time. I haven't seen any relation with the amount of memory left, or with the kind of objects used...
babadin@hotmail.com

Hi,
I have the same ugly issue.
I suspect that this problem caused by timing/locking files while compiling/running in VS.NET.
At this moment there are 2 ways to deal with this problem:
- waiting 10-20 minutes (till locks are released ???) or
- rebooting PC.

In my case this problem occurred always after making changes to code and using Ctrl/F5 to “Run w/o Debugging”. I have managed to cut the number of this problem occurrences from 3-4 a day to 1 every other day by compiling first using “Build Project” and using running with Ctrl/F5 next.

Hi - i resolved this problem by disabling my IIS servers antivirus by stopping all related services. Then reinstalled the .net web application, and it worked fine.

I think the AV lockes access to a certain part of the .net framework.

Benjamin Sautner
deadcoffee@hotmail.com

Hi,

I finally managed to get rid of this problem.
In my case, I just stopped the indexing services ; and suddenly the error message disappeared.
The indexing services were enabled, in my case, and started automatically ; I changed them on Manual, and disabled them, and since then, I no longer have the &quot;Access is Denied&quot; error message. It seems they put a lock on some dlls, or prevent .NET to access them (Just a thought...).

babadin@hotmail.com

gorgl,

THANKS. I have been experiencing this problem (off and on of course) for months. Your indexing services solution fixed it immediately.

sepeter2

I just started getting this error last night! Thanks for the answers. My problem was also the indexing server. Once I stopped it--problem solved!!!

I had the exact same problem .. but found a different solution after solutions here didn't help (sry, but so happened). :)

I went to ControlPanel -> Administrative Tools -> .NET Framework Configuration -> Increase Assembly Trust .. navigated to my_assembly_name.dll and increased it's credits in the system.

Perhaps the access was denied before because somehow the assembly after certain compilations lost rights for the resource Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

Stopping the Indexing Service did the trick for me too. This is how to do it if you don't already know:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Right click on &quot;Indexing Service&quot;, click &quot;Properties&quot; and choose a startup type of &quot;Manual&quot;. Then, stop the service and you should be able to build and run from VS.NET successfully.

stu

This solution worked for me, however, what effect does turing off the Indexing Services have?

Thanks

Solution has worked! But if we need to have the indexing service, what is the ideal solution?

Thanks in advance - Karthik

I had a problem with my web.config but it was when I was using the extended version of the <identity> tag.

It worked fine and would compile when using the basic form

<identity impersonate=true />

But it would occasionally bark at me regarding syntax errors in the web.config when I used the extended form of the tag.

<identity impersonate=true userName="domain/username" password="password" />

Is this a documented .NET bug? I'm using v1.1 of the framework.

Keith

The post by Rings is the real answer.
One clarification, you have to go to the Wizards and use

Control Panel --> >Net Framework 1.1 Wizards-->Trust An Assembly

the indexing service approach works, but this way you can keep indexing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back