Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuration problem with Proliant 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger2001

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2001
BE
I have a Proliant 6000 running NT4 and our old Baan ERP system which is now used just for historical archive.

Last week we lost both main and backup air con to the computer room and switched off the Proliant as a precaution so as not to overheat. The machine was off for nearly a week and then late Friday we tried to reboot.

Now we receive error messages
162 - system options not set
172-1 Config non volatile memory invalid
172-EISA Config non volatile memory invalid Initilaisation aborted.

I've installed the smartStart CD and tried rebooting and running the configuration utility but it seems to just go around in circles, reboot and complain with the same errors.

The machine uses a Mylex SCSI controller with 50Gb mirrored drives.

I dont want to lose all the history, so I'm desparate to try to get the original configuration back. I don't want to try to rebuild the machine from scratch.

Any useful suggestions please?

I had this same issue on a PL5500 and we had to replace the onboard battery to get it to hold the configuration in the bios. See if this helps.

I would agree with STLCowboy, it sounds as if the BIOS battery has gone. You should not have to rebuild, you should be able to go into SmartStart, let it reconfigure, and it should still let you boot into the OS.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Thanks for the heads-up.

There is an onboard lithium battery attached to the motherboard. It's circular and about 15mm in diameter. It does'nt seem to want to come out. It is clipped at one side.
Is there a technique for removing/replacing these batteries?

According to the PL6000 manual on the HP website, you cannot remove the internal battery. The manual states that if the battery fails, you should use an "external battery" as a replacement. Trying to remove the internal battery can damage the board. Below is a link to the manual, page 2-51 details the procedure:

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back