Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration of Hard Disk to share data in Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOP

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
SG
Hi,
Are there ways to share data within few computers with only a hard disk to act as a Server(or maybe throw in a processor and router)?

I've done some research and found that LaCie Ethernet Disk is close to my target, they even have more functions.
But is there a way i can do the write/read operation if i do some configuration on the hard disk, router, and simple processor.

Any advise/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Sure, Win XP supports file sharing although you'll need a computer running Win XP to have a server. You can share with the server, or between machines.

If you don't want to buy the all-in-one solution you've been looking at, you'll basically have to install an operating system on a PC, connect it to network and share its filestore as required. Once set up it wouldn't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse/CD or DVD/floppy drive etc, and if you install XP on it you can use remote desktop for administration purposes.

Ifg you are using Windows NT/200/XP you can set up shares easily on a pc without having to use a true Server. IF you are using the NTFS format, then you can add security to your folders. Set who gets what permissions (read, write, execute, etc). This will save you from having to purchase other software. It will take a bit of research (you might want to pick up a good how to book) on permissions, how to set up security, group permissions, etc.

Note, however, if you are using FAT16/32 you don't have the security that NTFS provides.

Thanks for the help so far.
I'm quite confusing between the differences of server and desktop..Are'nt they the same? Since desktop can be act as a server to link up PCs...So what the thin line in between?? Pls enlighten me regarding this networking issue.Thanks.

If all you want is some filestore where users can read and write shared data, then forget about differences between server and desktop. All you need is an operating system which can be networked and which can share its filestore. This will provide a 'file server'. Any version of windows from 95 on meets this criteria. If you want security on the filestore, you'll need windows NT/2k/XP Pro (so you can use ntfs). With these operating systems there is a limit of 10 concurrent connections (need to buy the much more expensive 2k or 2k3 server versions to overcome this). Or there's linux, which is free (but might take you longer to set up if you've no linux experience). Or you can buy a box like the one you mentioned at the top, which is all configured for you (but more expensive).

Thanks for all the valuable inputs. Actually it'll be the best if there are hard disk that can actually connect to a handful of PCs via physical connection.

The purpose of this is to let some PC access the data in the external Hard disk even if other PCs are shut dowm. Or is there any other solution without any desktop acting as the role of 'Server'?

I assume your PCs are networked, so your physical connection would be an ethernet port on your switch. Given that, you could always dedicate a cheap networked PC with a big drive and share files as described by others earlier in this thread.

Similar to the LaCie Ethernet Disk, you may also want to look at workgroup Snap appliances (a.k.a. Snap Severs) at:

We use various models of Snap Severs where I work and they've proven to be easy to set up, and have been very reliable. Highly configurable via a web browser.

Iomega has similar products:

I've never used one. During my quick glance at its requirements I see that it requires DHCP to be running on your network, so you'll never be able to hard-code its IP address. This seems odd to me.

One option would be to buy a network storage link like the following Linksys device ...

It connects to your existing network and then you add up to 2 external hard drives via USB. This allows you to share the hard drives to any pc in your network without requiring a specific pc to be powered on. You can also setup access to the hard drive via the Internet. And if you have one or two extra hard drives already laying around, you could just buy the USB drive enclosures and use your extra hard drives to share on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back