Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuration 3660 backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

theojkat

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2002
US
I have little or no experence on Cisco routers, I need to backup the current configuration before Installing the new router (same box old one broken).
My question is how do I do this, the flash: memory file is the IOS only. When I updated the IOS version I erased the old one and the tftp'ed the new one to the router. The configuration remained the same. So therefore the config can't be in flash????? (maybe)

The config is in the NVRAM (NonVolatileRAM) volatile, this is why you do not loose your config when erasing the flash.
Some routers (the big ones at least) permit to write files to the flash memory, but it does not seem to be your case.
You must install a TFTP server in your network and copy the config file to there.
When the tftp server is installed use the following command:
copy running tftp
It will ask you for the ip address of the tftp server and so on.

OK Thanks that sounds simple enough, what is the command to get the confg from the tftpd server?

As soon as I sent the message I realised that the "new" router will not understand my network, Do I have to config one port manualy?

To swap the config from one router to another, you can follow these steps:
1) If possible capture the configuration in the existing router:
Log on to the router with Hyperterminal. Enter the command show running-config.
Scroll to the top of the information displayed. Near the top you will see the
word ‘version’. Highlight from immediately below this to the bottom of the output of the
show run command, to immediately after the word ‘end’.
Click on the Edit menu on the Hyperterminal toolbar, and then click on copy.
Open Notepad, click on the notepad Edit menu, and click paste. This copies the
config into a file, which can be edited. Check that what was pasted is the same as in
the Show run output.
Click the File menu, then Save As and save the config with a name and location you
can recall.
Close Notepad.
2) Unpack, power up and connect the new router to your laptop.
If the router is clear of any stored configuration, it will display
“Do you want to enter basic configuration dialog?”.
Answer no to this, and answer yes if asked
“Do you want to terminate auto-install?”
The router prompt should at this stage be: ’ Router>’
If ‘Router>’ or any other prompt appear as the router is first powered up, then you
MUST clear the configuration before proceeding. To do this:
Type enable. The prompt should then change to ‘Router#’. If a password has been
set the router will request a password from you at this stage. Type &quot;write erase&quot;. This deletes the stored config. Press <enter> if when asked
to confirm.
Type reload. This restarts the router and runs it from a default set up. At the end of
the power-up tests it should come to the point of inviting you to enter the basic set-up,
as above.
3) Type show version. Check that the operating system (IOS) version is 12.07(T). If it is not,
swap the flash module in from the failed router, as detailed earlier.
4) Enter the router configuration mode:
From ‘Router>’ type enable. Prompt changes to ‘Router#’.
Type conf t. Note the space. Prompt changes to ‘Router(config)’.
5) Open the config file that you saved earlier in Notepad.
Edit your file to include lines saying ‘no shutdown’ to to the information for the individual interfaces.
6) In the Edit menu of Notepad click select all. The whole of the text should be highlighted.
Return to Hyperterminal, and click the Hyperterminal Edit menu. Click paste to host.
This then enters all of the config, one line at a time as though it was being typed on
console. The last line will look something like: s00954rtr1#. Type in <ctrl>z. There
should be a notification that the router has been configured from console by console.
7) Save the configuration. Type in &quot;copy running-config startup-config&quot;. The router should be
ready for use.
8) If everything is OK then type exit at the prompt & enter. This should bring up the dialogue
Press Return to get started.
Use only Notepad for this editing. Other text editors insert format commands that will cause the
configuration to fail. It is possible to change these values once the file has been loaded to
the router, but it is far more convenient to edit the file in Notepad.

Procedure complete.

This came from an engineer manual I wrote for a TPM company, but the instructions come from Cisco's website. Note that the IOS in the new router will probably not be the same as that in the original, so you will have to reload it, or transfer the flash SIMM containing the IOS from router to router.

EB

Answer from EB is a good solution but, just to answer your question, to get the config from the TFTP server you will need a similar command (copy tftp running). Do not forget to save the config file (wr mem). Operations could also be done with the startup config, just replacing the word running by startup.

Yes, you would have to configure at list a port manually (the port where the TFTP is installed).

Thanks for the info, I will attack this Monday AM...
hopfully with out the aid of Murphy.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back