Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneTechMan

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
Hello all. We've recently had a internet T1 installed for a unsecured network that we're setting for visting vendors, salespeople, etc., which is in no way connected to our network. I've got a 2621, with 1 WIC that I inherited already configed for a T1. As a noob to router config, I thought pretty much all I'd have to do would be to change the IP info, and call it a day. Can someone take a look at what I've got so far and tell me what I need or need to add or subtract? Thanks in advance.

interface Serial0/0
ip address 209.234.138.242 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
no fair-queue
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
!
interface Ethernet0/1
ip address 66.162.43.17 255.255.255.248
no mop enabled
!
router igrp 1
redistribute connected
network 209.234.138.0
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.234.138.241
ip http server
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
dialer-list 1 protocol ipx permit
snmp-server community public RO

Or just hit the loopback button on the wic and have them loop all the way through to the router.

The bandwidth command shouldn't affect the link. The speed of your T1 is set by the clock rate. Seeing errors on your controller is alarming.

Total Data (last 86 15 minute intervals):
519 Line Code Violations, 1851 Path Code Violations
218 Slip Secs, 21035 Fr Loss Secs, 19 Line Err Secs, 4 Degraded Mins
33 Errored Secs, 8 Bursty Err Secs, 3 Severely Err Secs, 21037 Unavail Secs

Again check with your ISP for proper configuration settings. Every ISP should be able to work you through setting up a Cisco router with their circuit.

It's not the bandwidth command it is what the interface is reading the line as. Anytime I setup a new T1 and the link did not come up I also showed 1536 as BW. Had this same thing happen twice and both times it was a problem on the ISP side. When the connection came up the show interface revealed the 1544 bw and not the 1536.

BTW I have been saying ANSI....but should have been AMI.
The circuit is missing 8 bits and that may be what is causing the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their replies & suggestions, the circuit is finally in operation. There was an issue with our ISP, and I was finally able to nail down a tech to stay on the phone and double check the config & all of the settings. I really appreciate everyones help. Have a safe a happy 4th of July.

Oh by the way, I found out before leaving work yesterday that they now want me to setup NAT & dhcp on the router, and connect it to a 3550 switch. I've been researching NAT but am a little confused on some of the setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction on the basics and how do I need to configure the 3550 as well? Not looking for the easy way, as I definitely want to learn it, but I'm pressed for time to have this working by COB Friday. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back