Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hi!

What could have changed (and how) to make it so something that worked before is no longer working? There have been no changes to the PIX and yet now when a user tries to FTP to a site he could before the IP address is changing! It is expecting an IP with the last octect of 10, but they recieved .11 one night and .61 the next, so it failed! There is a static statement for the device... I wasn't the one that set any of this up, so I am struggling to find an answer. Any help is appreciated!!!!! = )

Thank you!

You don't provide enough information, but I suspect your PIX is configured for DHCP or PPoE so the IP address on the outside interface is assigned dinamically. If the lease time expires then you might be assigned a different IP address, thus the different IP addresses seen at the remote end.

This is an AS400 server with a static IP and a static statement on the PIX.

static (inside,outside) 208.210.xx.xx 10.1.xx.xx

Doesn't that make a difference? And this has been working for over a year without a problem. = (

ip address ethernet0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

that will statically set an IP Address for interface ethernet0

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Now I am REALLY confused... what does Ethernet0 have to do with this. = ( It worked last week and for a whole year before. Can there be a problem other then the firewall??

Well if your AS400 has a static translation on the PIX why don't you test it on the Internet to determine if the IP address seen on the Internet is the same configured on your static translation? You can use free tools on the web to test it. Is the PIX configured with a static IP address? If so it should have the line:

ip address outside <public ip> <subnet mask>

Yes, the PIX has a static IP. The people on the other end of the FTP are seeing addresses from what the PIX's "global IP's"??? What does that mean??? What tool is best to use?

If the other side is seeing the IP addresses configured on your global command then it means your static translation is not working as you intended. How many NIC cards do you have in your AS400? If you have more than one, make sure FTP traffic leaves the NIC configured on your static translation, issue a show xlate command to determine what global address is asigned for your FTP connection. If you go to it will tell you the IP address seen on the Internet.

Thank you!! I'll have our AS400 guy check that... it has two NIC's. I KNOW the firewall hasn't changed and seeing that it has worked as is for over a year (in fact worked Friday) I don't see how the static statement could just stop working. Thank you for the link too!!! = )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back