Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config Assistance with Copper DID in CallManager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rannelator

Vendor
Mar 25, 2002
US
I am looking for configuration assistance to configure CallManager 6 for copper DID phone lines. I have not been able to find any information in Cisco documentation or online in various message boards.

We have a number of locations where copper DID (not digital/PRI) phone lines will be used. We have configured copper DID phone lines before, but not with the MGCP configuration. The only other time we configured copper DIDs the gateway was configured as H.323.

In this case we are using the following:
- CallManager 6.1.2.1000-13
- 2811 router, IOS ver: c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
- VIC3-4FXS/DID module

The DID phone lines are already installed and in use by the current phone system, an Avaya Definity Prologix. The DID phone lines are configured in the Prologix as DID and use Wink/Start signaling.

When I tried to configure the DID phone lines in CallManager I could only choose from POTS, Ground Start, or Loop Start. Wink Start or DID is not an option.

I have a case open with Cisco TAC, but there has not been any useful info.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Randy Rannels
IP Communications Manager
Fulton Financial Corporation

Analog DID trunks are not supported in MGCP.
h323 only. If your gateway is configured as MGCP, add the h323 on top just for the DID trunks.
Or convert the whole gateway to h323.

Randy,
Need to use FXO cards instead of FXS. "O" is for Office and "S" is for Station. We have been using VIC2-FXO cards in a MGCP for 3yrs now. Works good. We are on CCM 6.1 now but it was working with 4.1
I'm really suprised that TAC wasn't much help. All I know is that we got it working. We do have a bigger router than you. Maybe that's it.
Good Luck. Jerry

This is some what we have.
Product Cisco 3845
Gateway ReoRtr.welborncall
Protocol MGCP
VIC2-FXO

Actually FXO csrds do not support Analog DID lines. You have to use an FXS/DID card - in this case we are using VIC3-4FXS/DID. The problem we ran into is you cannot select wink/start in CallManager for the port type when trying to configure in MGCP. I finally got an answer from TAC when I told them about whykap's reply. They told me that MGCP does not support analog DID phone lines. The solution is to configure the analog DID lines in H.323 on the gateway and run it along side the MGCP config in CM. We have several H.323 only gateways configured for analog DID lines. I was not aware that you could have MGCP and H.323 configured and running at the same time. We will be deploying the first gateway with this configuration in a few weeks and I will update this posting with the results.

We are running 2800 series routers with CM 6.1.2.

Randy Rannels

i have several branches that still have the main line as a pots line. i used the 4 fxo ports so they would not need a pri and could still be on the system.
i just configured the fxos' to accept inbound and outbound and just added the main line on all the ports.

Hope this helps.

We also use the FXO cards for loop start and ground start lines in our branches and smaller offices. We have about 15 locations that have the analog DID lines, though.

Randy Rannels

Randy, as I mentioned on my earlier post you are using the correct modules VIC3-4FXS/DID for analog DID's.
FXO ports do not support analog DID's.
You just have to configure them using h323.

Randy,
Sorry I had it confused. I have DID Lines that work and you are trying to get DID Trunks to work. The light bulb came on. I can see your problem now. I don't have anything like that setup.
Jerry

I too thought you couldn't have a gateway run both H.323 and MGCP. Keep us updated on that because I have a few H.323 gateways I would like to convert their FXS ports to MGCP.

We too have several sites with analog DID trunks. They are a great solution if you need DID numbers, but the site is too small to justify a full ISDN-PRI. Fortunately for us, we prefer to run these sites with H.323 so we never ran into the issue you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back